• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flying Hippo

I have this hilarious picture of big Sulzeir having a nightmare in an OF game and subsequently repeating his old Arsenal tricks by going AWOL for a week afterwards to 'sort his head out'

Lunacy will come even quicker if he joins ra Cellic ;)

Hilarious pic! :D

Although is Campbell not a bit old for Celtic?? :giruy:

All jokes aside, i still think Campbell is a good defender and would cruise the SPL. He wasnt bad at all for Arsenal last season.

• 4 weeks later...

Signs a 1 year deal with them. I thought the reason he wanted to leave Arsenal is because they only offered him a 1 year deal.

Newcastle United have completed the signing of defender Sol Campbell on a one-year contract.

The former England international had been a free agent after his deal with Arsenal ran out this summer.

"At this stage of my career I couldn't have wished for a better move," the 35-year-old told the Newcastle website.

"To join a club such as Newcastle, with it's proud tradition, heritage and magnificent support, is absolutely tremendous for me."

In signing Campbell, Newcastle have fought off reported interest from Sunderland, Celtic and Arsenal, who were apparently keen to retain the player's services after he rejoined them midway through last season.

He becomes manager Chris Hughton's third summer signing following the arrivals of Dan Gosling and James Perch from Everton and Nottingham Forest respectively.

Newcastle are preparing for their return to the Premier League after one season in the Championship.

He's a dedicated professional, a terrific addition to the squad, and I look forward to working with him again

"I'd like to thank Chris Hughton for putting his faith in me and aim to repay him and the supporters by giving everything I possibly can to help re-establish this great club in the top tier of English football," added Campbell, who has been given squad number five.

"I just want to play and can't wait to get started. There's a real buzz about the place and that's great.

"I've played at St James' Park numerous times and always found it a fantastic place to play, there's always a tremendous atmosphere.

"Chris will focus everyone together and get the team ready for the season. It's nice seeing [assistant manager] Chris Calderwood too, having played with him at Tottenham."

Hughton was a coach at Spurs when Campbell was coming up through the ranks at his first club.

"I have known Sol since he was a lad and am fully aware of what he has to offer," stated Hughton. "That is experience, quality, calm assurance and leadership.

"He's a dedicated professional, a terrific addition to the squad and I look forward to working with him again."

Hughton is keen to strengthen his defence as the club wait to discover the extent of Steven Taylor's shoulder injury.

Taylor is set to miss the start of the Premier League campaign at least, with Newcastle's first game being at Manchester United on 16 August.

However, there are fears he could be sidelined for several months.

Campbell, who recently returned from his honeymoon after being married in Northumberland earlier this month, made 11 appearances for Arsenal last season after clinching a move in January.

It was his second spell with the Gunners, who he initially joined from north London rivals Tottenham in a controversial move in 2001.

He won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups with Arsenal before joining Portsmouth, with whom he also won the FA Cup in 2008.

He began last season with League Two side Notts County but left the club by mutual consent in September 2009.

A former England captain, Campbell has 73 international caps to his name.