Velicka set for Rangers return

I'd suggest that Sebo, Guivarch and Jeffers were all better players for us than Velicka. :box:

Jeffers ? Really ? He played shite and scored once IIRC - Velicka may not be great but his return was certainly better than Jeffers.

saying all that i don't really care about what players have done in their career i only care about what they've done or do for us to be honest and none of them were any better for us than velicka, sebo 2 goals, jeffers 0, ostenstad 0, Guivarch got 5 but played more games. :giruy:

He's got a better scoring record for us than Prso, so by your logic, he's obviously a better player than him as well?

Jeffers ? Really ? He played shite and scored once IIRC - Velicka may not be great but his return was certainly better than Jeffers.

Jeffers did OK for us IMO. I particularly remember one game at Parkhead when I thought he had a great game and was very unlucky. He wasn't give a great chance but he offered more than Velicka does.

Guest Flying Hippo

Jeffers was a twat. Have always despised him since a guy on FF met him in a nightclub and he said that Rangers were the worst club he'd ever played for and he hated every minute of his time there

Some harsh views on Velicka in this thread I feel.

While hardly Inzaghi, when he's managed to be fit he's scored goals for us - and technically he always looked a decent player.

A bit unfair to call a guy, who scored some vital finishes, anything like an Ostenstaad - in 8 appearances for us he got 4 goals. And 3 of them were during the vital run in when the pressure was on.

I'm not saying he's the ghost of Van Basten, but there does appear to be a lot of, imo, negative posts about him in here.

I think there are far worse squad men we could have, and HAVE had, than Andreas Velicka.

Guest Flying Hippo

Have to disagree with the idea of him being technically impressive. He's just a big guy who occasionally wins headers. Same as Boyd. There's nothing impressive about either of their hold up play or work rate. And he is so slow it's unreal. Rob Jones marked him completely out of that 1-1 game at Easter Road before Novo replaced him at half time and totally changed the game

Edited by Flying Hippo

Have to disagree with the idea of him being technically impressive. He's just a big guy who occasionally wins headers. Same as Boyd. There's nothing impressive about either of their hold up play or work rate. And he is so slow it's unreal

Difference is that Boyd is heralded as the Greatest Ranger Ever by some, while, with a similar mandate, Velicka is laughed out of town.

I would never ask him to be a first choice striker, but he's shown he can do a job when needed. And for a million squid, isn't that a reasonable return?

Rob Jones marked him completely out of that 1-1 game at Easter Road before Novo replaced him at half time and totally changed the game

Doesn't mean anything. Rob Jones' physique made him one of the most imposing defenders in the league - he even had a field day with the giant Cousin, but Cousin still scored an absolute belter from 20 yards.

Novo's advantage over both is that he was small and quick - and brutal large defenders hate taking that on.

Guest Flying Hippo

Well as i said earlier in the thread, �£1 million bought both Boyd and Novo with change to spare. Velicka at 29 years old and playing in Norway was never worth anything like that and it was a grotesque waste of money, not least because he didn't play a single match between September and April

A lot of people will think we could simply replace Boyd with him because they're so similar but Velicka will never score anywhere near the same amount of goals. He's slower and can't last more than 50 minutes in a game. Whilst i could accept him as 5th or 6th choice striker, it's very scary to think that he may now be 3rd choice, even 2nd choice if Lafferty is playing on the left