Velicka set for Rangers return

Well as i said earlier in the thread, �£1 million bought both Boyd and Novo with change to spare. Velicka at 29 years old and playing in Norway was never worth anything like that and it was a grotesque waste of money, not least because he didn't play a single match between September and April

A lot of people will think we could simply replace Boyd with him because they're so similar but Velicka will never score anywhere near the same amount of goals. He's slower and can't last more than 50 minutes in a game. Whilst i could accept him as 5th or 6th choice striker, it's very scary to think that he may now be 3rd choice, even 2nd choice if Lafferty is playing on the left

I'm baffled as to why you're so harsh on his goal scoring exploits when his record is 4 in 8 for us. Boyd has about 100 goals in 140 matches - be you a fan of him or not, he has scored more for us in ratio than just about anyone - so why compare others directly to him on that pedigree?

As a backup player, 1 in 2 is about as good as it gets. As for fitness, well of course he couldn't last - he barely played all season so did you expect him to get up to full match sharpness in 7 games?

Difference is that Boyd is heralded as the Greatest Ranger Ever by some, while, with a similar mandate, Velicka is laughed out of town.

I would never ask him to be a first choice striker, but he's shown he can do a job when needed. And for a million squid, isn't that a reasonable return?

I think you will struggle to prove that. I have never, ever seen anyone, certainly not on this forum, proclaim Boyd as the Greatest Ranger Ever - you are most definitely clutching at straws there.

Would you have him play in place of Boyd ? Because, for 400k, Boyd's return would be a spectacular return, no ? Who would you rather keep ?

Sorry..... off track and made it a comparison with Boyd topic. Feel free to not respond to that part.

Velicka imo was not needed and never worth �£1m he never impressed me at Hearts, well maybe when he scored against them for Hearts.

He has done better than players mentioned earlier Ostenstad and Jeffers. Both horrible players imo, I don't care about their previous success with other clubs they have to prove themselves to us and they didn't.

Velicka has done alright but can't last a full match even though he doesn't do a whole lot. I don't think he would be the suitable replacement to Boyd if Boyd does leave, not sure anyone in our squad could replace Boyd's goals.

Guest Flying Hippo

If Boyd does leave, we shouldn't simply be looking for someone who might score the same number of goals. There are literally dozens of strikers out there who i'd take over Boyd even though i know they wouldn't score the same number of goals. I would love us to try and get the boy Benitez on loan who Birmingham had last season. Poor scoring record but an absolute beast at hold up play and running with the ball

He's got a better scoring record for us than Prso, so by your logic, he's obviously a better player than him as well?

did i mention dado? i mentioned players who i thought were some of the worst players to play for us if you read the posts.

all i've said was I think velcika is a decent squad player, he's not better than boyd, miller or even lafferty but he will score goals for us given a chance IMO.

I'm baffled as to why you're so harsh on his goal scoring exploits when his record is 4 in 8 for us. Boyd has about 100 goals in 140 matches - be you a fan of him or not, he has scored more for us in ratio than just about anyone - so why compare others directly to him on that pedigree?

As a backup player, 1 in 2 is about as good as it gets. As for fitness, well of course he couldn't last - he barely played all season so did you expect him to get up to full match sharpness in 7 games?

4 in 8 sounds decent. However, it has to be tempered by the fact that it was only 8 games and a season lasts 38. Not suggesting one way or the other as he could easily have went on a very good run.... or on a "Jeffers" type run where he couldnt hit a coo in the arse with a banjo.

8 games, like any other player at the club, isnt enough to judge - one thing we also have to consider is the type of injury he had and whether he will struggle mentally to come back from it. Should we be spending 8k a week on a guy who may simply not have the heart for it ?

Another thing to consider is that no-one else may want him and we could be stuck with him given he is like a forgotten man of football. And if we need to persevere then he will get games whether we like it or not, as our squad this season could be even more threadbare than it was last season.

No idea what all the fuss is about. Velicka's contract runs till next summer when he'll be 32 and unlikely to get a new contract with us, so unless we manage to sell him (which is doubtful), we're stuck with him until then. That's pretty much all there is to it....

4 in 8 sounds decent. However, it has to be tempered by the fact that it was only 8 games and a season lasts 38. Not suggesting one way or the other as he could easily have went on a very good run.... or on a "Jeffers" type run where he couldnt hit a coo in the arse with a banjo.

8 games, like any other player at the club, isnt enough to judge

So, by that logic, we shouldn't judge either Bougherra or Wilson because they only played about 20 matches each this season?

I disagree - I think you can judge whenever the hell you like. There is no fast hard law as to what is the right number of games - it depends on the player himself. Look at Cuellar - we were calling him God after about 4 matches - and like or not the only dispensation was 'let's hope he keeps it up' - meaning he's capable of doing so, and in his case he did.

Mendes is a player who didn't really keep up a bright start, and had a fairly average time with us in the end

It varies from player to player.

- one thing we also have to consider is the type of injury he had and whether he will struggle mentally to come back from it. Should we be spending 8k a week on a guy who may simply not have the heart for it ?

Another thing to consider is that no-one else may want him and we could be stuck with him given he is like a forgotten man of football. And if we need to persevere then he will get games whether we like it or not, as our squad this season could be even more threadbare than it was last season.

Forgotten men of football feel they have the world to prove - and he did exactly that when finally given his chance the season before last with, as said, after that opening goal V Falkirk, 3 in 7 when we REALLY needed it.

He does have the mental strength - and I hope like Lafferty (Albeit he too has some way to go) he slowly turns round the negative opinion about him.

I think you will struggle to prove that. I have never, ever seen anyone, certainly not on this forum, proclaim Boyd as the Greatest Ranger Ever - you are most definitely clutching at straws there.

Maybe I should have included:

Sarcasm.jpg

When I said that particular phrase. I was just meaning some seem to consider him the utter bees knees, with loyalty to him I can't quite fathom. I knew of one guy on RM who names himself after him, defending him at all costs and swearing allegiance in face of all adversity.

There is plenty negative opinion about Boyd, and my point was that a very similar player in Velicka doesn't get the fair crack of the whip from the Boyd fans that I feel he deserves.

did i mention dado? i mentioned players who i thought were some of the worst players to play for us if you read the posts.

all i've said was I think velcika is a decent squad player, he's not better than boyd, miller or even lafferty but he will score goals for us given a chance IMO.

You used the players' goal scoring records to justify that they were worse than Velicka. Well if that is the sole basis for jusging a forward as you were implying then he must be better than Prso. :)