Velicka set for Rangers return

So, by that logic, we shouldn't judge either Bougherra or Wilson because they only played about 20 matches each this season?

I disagree - I think you can judge whenever the hell you like. There is no fast hard law as to what is the right number of games - it depends on the player himself. Look at Cuellar - we were calling him God after about 4 matches - and like or not the only dispensation was 'let's hope he keeps it up' - meaning he's capable of doing so, and in his case he did.

Mendes is a player who didn't really keep up a bright start, and had a fairly average time with us in the end

It varies from player to player.

Forgotten men of football feel they have the world to prove - and he did exactly that when finally given his chance the season before last with, as said, after that opening goal V Falkirk, 3 in 7 when we REALLY needed it.

He does have the mental strength - and I hope like Lafferty (Albeit he too has some way to go) he slowly turns round the negative opinion about him.

So by that logic Lafferty truly IS pish then ? because he has had maybe half a dozen good games for Rangers in.... So how many now ? so we can literally carve out whatever piece of a players career we like and use that as a basis to judge them... :devil:

Whether you like it or not 20 games at least has allowed a player to show some level of consistency, or not. 8 games though is not enough - IMO of course.

Out of those 8 games, regardless of whether Velicka scored 4 goals or not - he actually very rarely actually played well. What I simply can't fathom is that you are defending (or it seems you are defending) Velicka for having a 1 in 2 ratio of goals whilst providing little else.... other than that some of those goals have been important..... all the while not being overly perturbed by the possibility of losing a player who has a 1 in 1.4 ratio, over a much, much more extended period and with absolutely no doubt that more of those goals would have been just as, if not more important, than Velicka's.

How was he a forgotten man at that point when he scored against Falkirk ? He had only recently signed for us, was the first game of the season and had only left Hearts a season before - hardly a forgotten man was he ?

How do you know he has the mental strength ?? Has he had a season-long injury before ? I genuinely dont know - but there are definitely different types of mental strength.

I won't write him off, not by any stretch as he IS a goalscorer. However, my personal description of him would be, rightly or wrongly, is that he is a poor man's Kris Boyd - and I know of Jambos supporters who, whilst sad to see him leave the JT's, also saw him in the same light. Not that it is proof positive of anything mind you.

Likewise, I wont be writing off Lafferty just yet - there are signs there of a player - they just havent surfaced often enough nor for a prolonged enough period.

Guest Flying Hippo

I didn't see much mental strength from Velicka when he missed the complete sitter in Kaunas that cost us a place in the Champions League

A pretty high percentage of our fans were so blinded by their hatred of Kenny Miller at the time that they blamed him for our exit despite none of his misses over the two legs coming close to the one Velicka missed at the end of the second leg

Velicka does look very wooden and not mobile at all but he can score goals. I say we give him Pre season to get fit then judge him on his next performances.

But we have had some desperate strikers. Marcus Gayle was as bad as it got. The only decent short term striker we had was Nieto. Did he not score about 5 goals in 3 games then we decided to punt him away?

I don't think Velicka is the worst striker we've had and I think he could score a few goals given the chance;however, he really hasn't looked interested in a Rangers jersey and I really doubt his motivation.

He looks a lot lazier than Boyd and far less likely to score. His attitude that I've seen makes him look like the kind of player you need to take off at half time.

He's probably got enough ability to do ok in the SPL but he doesn't look like he wants to use it.

Guest Flying Hippo
Velicka does look very wooden and not mobile at all but he can score goals. I say we give him Pre season to get fit then judge him on his next performances.

But we have had some desperate strikers. Marcus Gayle was as bad as it got. The only decent short term striker we had was Nieto. Did he not score about 5 goals in 3 games then we decided to punt him away?

Nieto was rotten lol. He missed 3 sitters against Artmedia at Ibrox

Does anyone remember that when word got out that we were signing an Argentine youngster on loan, there was talk that it was Lionel Messi? :D