Velicka set for Rangers return

Velicka's run in the team coincided with Walter basically running out of ideas after we lost the CIS Cup final and blew a 2-0 lead at home to Hearts. The tactics were basically 'ping the ball long to Velicka and hope for the best' and aye granted, he scored 4 goals, but he was still horrific to watch. Just because we're skint does not mean i should praise players who are nowhere near good enough to play for Rangers. Lest we forget that Velicka cost over twice what Boyd did, and also more than Daniel Cousin

But it's not his fault he cost that is it? Boyd was a SPL bargain but he was out of contract in the summer the year we signed him so was cheaper.

We all knew cousin was a better player when he was in the mood, but he fell out with his manager and club before he signed so they wanted rid of him on the cheap, I wonder why :whistle: his attitude has got him where he is now, on loan from Hull playing for that great greek team called Larrissa....:devil:

Velicka is certainly not the worst player i've seen play for us even in recent times and as I said he scored some good and important goals which won us the title in the end that's his job to score goals which he done. We all want better but I think he's a decent squad player to have. I doubt he's on more than �£5k.

I'd say Sebo, Capucho, Guivarch, Ostenstad, Jeffers are just a few I think were much worse than Velcika......

Velicka is the absolute epitome of the 'does nothing for 89 minutes (or 49, given that he is always subbed off on the 50 minute mark) but pops up with a goal' striker. Even moreso than Boyd. In our current predicament and with our squad so tiny, we can't afford a passenger. We need our forwards to be able to create things for themselves like Sir Kenneth of Miller

i'm sorry i'm not having a go honest mate, but a striker is there to score goals, if he does nothing else apart from that it doesn't bother me, that is what others players in the team are for, everyone is different and should work together, no point in having the same type of players.

we have miller and lafferty and others who can play up front so i can't see him being first pick but if these players had it all they wouldn't be playing in the SPL.

Guest Flying Hippo

All those players outwith possibly Sebo are much much more talented than Velicka. Guivarc'h started a World Cup final ahead of Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet

8000 a week IS a high earner. We should get shot and use those wages to.... I don't know..... increase our offer to Boyd ?

Seriously though, we do need to act within financial constraints (which includes capping Boyd's offer, whatever it may be) and we could get much better value than Velicka, even for 8k a week.

i know we are not scouts Craig (although we could be) and i'm sure there is better vallue out there somewhere but no one has came up with any names as to who. There would be a signing on fee i'm sure and at least the same wages he is on i'd just like to know who people are on about that would be better value or are they just saying it because they think he's crap?

All those players outwith possibly Sebo are much much more talented than Velicka. Guivarc'h started a World Cup final ahead of Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet

but he was poor for us, did you see any of them play for us?

ostenstad is probably thee worst player i've seen for us, far worse than Velicka......

Guest Flying Hippo
but he was poor for us, did you see any of them play for us?

ostenstad is probably thee worst player i've seen for us, far worse than Velicka......

Ostenstad was horrific, yes. I remember him coming on at half time in an Old Firm game (we lost 1-0 at Ibrox, Khizanishvili own goal) and all he did was continually foul his marker and be caught offside. But he did well at Southampton in the late 90s and scored a decent amount of goals in the EPL, including a hat trick against Man Utd

In terms of ability and what they've done in their careers, Velicka is way below Capucho, Ostenstad, Guivarc'h, and probably Jeffers too given that he has a goal for England and a �£10 million move to Arsenal under his belt

He scored 19 in 47 for Hearts, so that would at least suggest he can do the business in the SPL when you consider he would probably get more chances per game for us than them? At the moment I wouldn't rush him out the door until we know what's going on with the takeover and the squad.

Ostenstad was horrific, yes. I remember him coming on at half time in an Old Firm game (we lost 1-0 at Ibrox, Khizanishvili own goal) and all he did was continually foul his marker and be caught offside. But he did well at Southampton in the late 90s and scored a decent amount of goals in the EPL, including a hat trick against Man Utd

In terms of ability and what they've done in their careers, Velicka is way below Capucho, Ostenstad, Guivarc'h, and probably Jeffers too given that he has a goal for England and a �£10 million move to Arsenal under his belt

so it's what they've done in their careers right sorry never seen that anywhere.

ostenstad strike rate was pretty poor everywhere 1 in 3 or 4 games he's been i would say especially for blackburn and us he was woefull.

jeffers was even worse his strike rate even for everton was poor, he never scored for us either and has scored 5 goals in 54 games for sheff wed great return and i'm sure he'll be on a good wage still.

Guivarch was a bit better for a few teams before he signed for newcastle then us but again wasn't great and he looked terrible when playing for us..

sebo again done ok to start with but his last 3 teams he's scored about a dozen goals in over 100 games eek

saying all that i don't really care about what players have done in their career i only care about what they've done or do for us to be honest and none of them were any better for us than velicka, sebo 2 goals, jeffers 0, ostenstad 0, Guivarch got 5 but played more games. :giruy:

Talent perhaps - but production in a Rangers jersey ? They were all pish, without exception.