Guest Flying Hippo

Daniel Levy wanted Walter sacked after finishing bottom of the Grasshoppers group but Murray was having none of it

Even when he knew Walter was entering his final season, Murray handed him a �£20 million warchest to sign 6 or 7 new players. Absolutely unbelievable. None of these players (other than Amoruso who missed virtually the entire season anyway) became regulars under Advocaat

Edited by Flying Hippo

as for this seaons CL, i predict nothing more than the embarrassment we have suffered in recent years.

Where do you think last years failure was.?

I will upset some here, but The Big Man Davie Wier must take some blame... as must Boyd.

The CL players we come up against are too quick for Davie and Boyd missed pretty much any chance given to him (so did others so its not just a cheap dig.)

We need a younger CH for the CL and we need to get Boyd's SPL scoring replaced, but with the added CL finishing we require.

Lets not kid ourselves on , this upcoming C/L episode is only about the money , in fact just watch the crowds if they get it wrong price wise again , nothing worse than getting a skelping in a half full Ibrox

Daniel Levy wanted Walter sacked after finishing bottom of the Grasshoppers group but Murray was having none of it

Even when he knew Walter was entering his final season, Murray handed him a �£20 million warchest to sign 6 or 7 new players. Absolutely unbelievable. None of these players (other than Amoruso who missed virtually the entire season anyway) became regulars under Advocaat

Murray was abyssmal at choosing his managers. It's not just about the people who managed us but, imo, they were never what we actually needed at the time. Murray just seemed bottled the decision every time and usually rang the changes a season too late. He bottled it when he gave the job to Walter both times (I know, I know, Walter has done a great job) and he bottled it with Eck. He was forced into it with Advocaat and damn near allowed him to ruin the club. The one time he tried to bring something new to the club, he made such an arse of it with PLG that he completely lost his nerve and went back to Walter.

Murray was abyssmal at choosing his managers. It's not just about the people who managed us but, imo, they were never what we actually needed at the time. Murray just seemed bottled the decision every time and usually rang the changes a season too late. He bottled it when he gave the job to Walter both times (I know, I know, Walter has done a great job) and he bottled it with Eck. He was forced into it with Advocaat and damn near allowed him to ruin the club. The one time he tried to bring something new to the club, he made such an arse of it with PLG that he completely lost his nerve and went back to Walter.

i dont blame him for PLG. He was the most saught after manager in europe at the time. he shit his brick after a couple of weeks and couldnt get out quick enough. I recall at the time reading a Gerry Mcnee article early into Plgs life as manager and he wrote that he was angling for a way out of Ibrox. Think we had only played 4 or 5 games. As for mcleish, i think he got a raw deal fom our fans considering what he won and with the resources at hand at the time. He was every bit as successful as Smith has been and spent nowhere near the money smith has yet he is still pillored in certain quarters. he also took us to the next stage of the champions league.

Guest Flying Hippo

McLeish's record of 7 consequtive league defeats against Celtic is unforgivable, no matter how tight his budget was

I dreaded Old Firm games back then. No other manager has ever made me feel that way

i dont blame him for PLG. He was the most saught after manager in europe at the time. he shit his brick after a couple of weeks and couldnt get out quick enough. I recall at the time reading a Gerry Mcnee article early into Plgs life as manager and he wrote that he was angling for a way out of Ibrox. Think we had only played 4 or 5 games. As for mcleish, i think he got a raw deal fom our fans considering what he won and with the resources at hand at the time. He was every bit as successful as Smith has been and spent nowhere near the money smith has yet he is still pillored in certain quarters. he also took us to the next stage of the champions league.

I tried (but probably failed) to make it a comment on the people who managed us. I think, apart from PLG, they all did their best and had at least a degree od success. However, that doesn't mean they were what we needed at the time. We owe them our thanks for what they did but I think we always seemed to be taking chances with inexperience just at the time when we needed a proven hand on the tiller. As for PLG, I find it hard to accept that we hired him without scrutinising his management plan in detail - instead he didn't seem even to have one - which just exemplifies the impulsive nature of Murray's leadership style.

McLeish's record of 7 consequtive league defeats against Celtic is unforgivable, no matter how tight his budget was

I dreaded Old Firm games back then. No other manager has ever made me feel that way

Oh don't remind me. That was a hellish time.