Get your excuses in first.

I think their squad can only improve tbh, they were absolutely SHITE last season, really dire. I honestly don't think (based on everything i've seen of the wee runt) that wee aids is worth any more than �£2-3m, I honestly don't. It remains to be seen if all this �£8m stuff is agent/paper talk or not.

I agree totally especially about the wee runt , however all these players they are buying are only replacing the average ones they had on loan , and they will never replace Keane's goals and that is where their problems lie .

However it would be nice to be able to start talking about our squad , because the way it's shaping up the doomsday scenario of Muir wanting a squad of 14 senior players is fast approaching .

Guest Flying Hippo
I agree totally especially about the wee runt , however all these players they are buying are only replacing the average ones they had on loan , and they will never replace Keane's goals and that is where their problems lie .

However it would be nice to be able to start talking about our squad , because the way it's shaping up the doomsday scenario of Muir wanting a squad of 14 senior players is fast approaching .

Media nonsense. The saviour within wouldn't let our squad be reduced to 14 players

*insert numerous Wabashcannonball-esque smilies*

This was posted earlier on FF , and it's hard to argue with.

The Unspoken Secret at Murray Park?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the football silly season gets underway and rumours abound about various comings and goings on the transfer market, the Rangers support is almost afraid to log on to its favourite website for fear of discovering that another first team player is about to move on.

Boyd has gone, Novo has gone, Smith has gone, Beasley has gone and there`s talk that Kevin Thomson could join them. The club is now so impoverished that any half-decent offer will be looked at, and not just for the fee that comes in; the saving on wages is also an important factor.

The club has announced that Kirk Broadfoot is staying and that a new deal has been agreed with Jordan McMillan and this news will generate about as much excitement and anticipation in the Rangers support as the pope`s impending visit to Britain`s shores.

It`s early days of course and we can only guess at what the first team squad will consist of in the season ahead, but my feeling is that the ship is drifting aimlessly and will continue to do so until the club ownership situation is resolved - and even then there could still be problems to address.

Walter Smith`s stock has never been higher, and this is probably being exploited by club and bank. While he remains in charge, any dissent will have a lid on it, and if the league is lost, Walter will take the flak and move on and let Ally McCoist take over.

Had our former goalgetter taken over this year, it would likely have been his first and last year in the managerial hotseat. Failure would have seen him dismissed as a dud, but if he is brought in when we`re already down, the transition may actually be easier although still with no guarantee of success.

It`s quite possible that the unspoken secret at Murray Park is that there is no real expectation that Rangers will win the league this season, and that the league campaign will be more about marking time until the off-field situation is resolved than actually being genuinely competitive.

No-one dare admit such a possibility, especially in public, but Celtic won`t be expected to blow their financial advantage again this season. It desperately needs to win the league and will spend accordingly. We won`t even attempt to keep pace with Celtic`s level of investment, and the hope must be that Neil Lennon will be the next Tony Mowbray, and to be honest, I don`t think many believe that he will be.

Guest Flying Hippo

Very hard to argue with

Personally i'd be astounded if we're still in the title race by Christmas but i'm trying to remain as optimistic as i can be until it becomes reality

I actually agree with the last part that Lennon wont be another Mowbray. Mowbray got it all wrong but Lennon seems to have installed belief back into them which always improves a team. Its not nice to say but Lennon wont allow anyone to hide for them.

I still think we have a better starting XI on paper. Id have Mcgregor over Boruc anyday, and our centre halfs by a mile (assuming Bougherra stays). Davis is the best midfielder in the league and Miller's work rate upfront is better than any of their strikers. So we are still the team to beat IMO.

I don't blame anyone for being upset or disappointed with the rumours coming out of Ibrox but we shouldn't be too negative yet.

I think it is pretty obvious our activity in term of players coming in is going to be minimal but as long as we don't lose any players then we should still be competitive enough. If any key players go such as Bougherra, McGregor or Thomson then that would be worrying but I'd still like to think we'd use part/most of any such income to bring in replacements.

It is easy to panic with the positive press Celtic are getting (what's new there?) but as it stands they've only brought in a couple of average players while they have lost 4 first team players and are looking to sell more.

Let's have a bit of balance.

The other thing is that I'm sure all our players have been "available" for about 2 years now. Its nothing new to suggest that suddenly we're being forced to listen to offers for our whole squad, its just sensationalist nonsense imo.

Don't panic!

• 2 weeks later...