SMITH in for World Cup heroes Mphela and Khumalo

More...

WALTER SMITH has revealed that Rangers are interested in two of South Africa's World Cup stars.

The Ibrox manager is interested in signing Bafana Bafana pair Katlego Mphela and Bongani Khumalo.

Defender Khumalo, 23, and striker Mphela, 24, both scored against France in the finals and Gers are hoping the lure of Champions League football will convince them to sign up.

Ally McCoist watched both players closely during the summer finals and was highly impressed.

Initial talks have already taken place between Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain and representatives of Mphela and Khumalo.

Smith told The Sun: "We are seriously considering both these players. I believe they could fit in well for us.

"Contact has been made, but we'll need to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks."

Supersport United ace Khumalo has been capped 14 times while former Strasbourg striker Mphela, who has 35 caps, was the Premier Soccer League's top scorer last season with 17 goals in 30 games for Mahelodi Sundowns.

He was voted their player of the season as a result.

Edited by Frankie

Don't know much about either of them apart from they scored against France, the centre half looks like a big lad and good in the air but with weir, Webster and boughy who is going to play in there? I can see bougherra playing rb or lb a lot more this season, by the way if these bafana bafana boys sign there better not be an influx of the vuvuzelas in the megastore dontbthink I could handle them all season

what about the winger with the amazing name that got the first goal at the World cup... Tshabalala??

I think we were linked with him a few weeks back but nothing more of late.

Guest Guivarc'h

Very bizarre that we're so open and public about our interest. Call me a cynic, but i reckon we're not interested at all but would like the fans to believe we are. Mphela was being linked with a �£5 million move to Birmingham a few months ago and Khumalo was being linked with Tottenham the other day.

Don't know much about either of them apart from they scored against France, the centre half looks like a big lad and good in the air but with weir, Webster and boughy who is going to play in there? I can see bougherra playing rb or lb a lot more this season, by the way if these bafana bafana boys sign there better not be an influx of the vuvuzelas in the megastore dontbthink I could handle them all season

the fact that we are after another cb tells me that we may have a buyer in place for bougherra.

Very bizarre that we're so open and public about our interest. Call me a cynic' date=' but i reckon we're not interested at all but would like the fans to believe we are. Mphela was being linked with a �£5 million move to Birmingham a few months ago and Khumalo was being linked with Tottenham the other day.[/quote']

same here. nothing more than token bids to appease the fans. we have very little chance of signing these players.

The CL though is a big carrot and is the one thing that we have over the likes of spurs and birningham.

the fact that we are after another cb tells me that we may have a buyer in place for bougherra.

Not necessarily mate. Walter was quoted the other week as saying he wanted to get a defender, a midfielder & a striker.

The CL though is a big carrot and is the one thing that we have over the likes of spurs and birningham.

See this is the one thing that gets me - we only potentially have this over Spurs - the papers are saying the same thing... "Gers have CL over Spurs".

Spurs are in the qualifiers and have a reasonable chance of making the CL.