I think there's no problem as long as he doesn't lose his passport or something... If he's back on time we can't complain when you take into account the Scotland friendly. What the SPL need to do is work the fixtures around the international dates.

I think the bright side of things is that despite having bugger all squad and relative poverty we still have more than a team of internationals: 7 Scots, 2 NI, 1 Algerian, 1 Bosnian, I US and possibly a Lithuanian. Weir is only just retired and Fleck is an U21 who will surely break into the full Scotland squad soon.

Our squad may be sparse but it demonstrates what we've got is not of the worst quality. What it needs is fleshing out - I've always believed you need at least 22 first team players - 2 for every position plus some them who can play in multiple positions, and then a decent number of up and coming U21's.

In the last couple of seasons I remember us "cutting back" to 24 players and calling that a small squad - and then struggling during the inevitable injury crises.

I really can't see us coping with less than 18 first team players and even then, if our usual injury curse strikes, our season could be shattered.

I have no problem with him playing international football. I just hope he gets on the first flight back to Glasgow/UK after his match.

I'm more worried about the Scotland call ups for us if we get 2 or 3 players injured then we will be scraping the barrel.

Bougherra is now showing exactly the same attitude as Cousin did (one he got pillared for) - 'happy to stay, happy to go'. Which is fine by me and I can respect that.

Just hope he stays, of course.

My problem isn't with him wanting to play for his country or playing for his country 3 days before the SPL kicks off, it's knowing there's a very good chance he won't return when he should. He has got previous for it!

My problem isn't with him wanting to play for his country or playing for his country 3 days before the SPL kicks off, it's knowing there's a very good chance he won't return when he should. He has got previous for it!

So any criminal who has previous must have done it again ? ;)

They start their africans nations 2012 qualifiers in September the same time as most european teams start theirs for euro 2012. he's getting some unfair critisisim for wanting to play for his country here IMO. He's one of the best players for his country so why would he not want to play when called upon?

I dont have any problems with players wanting to represent there countries, the problem is when they arrive back for the start of pre-season complaining of burnout before they have kicked a ball for the teams that pay there wages

I dont have any problems with players wanting to represent there countries, the problem is when they arrive back for the start of pre-season complaining of burnout before they have kicked a ball for the teams that pay there wages

you never said that in your other post, you just said why are they having friendlies in Sep and it's because they start their african nations the same time as we do the euros.

are players not allowed to be tired :confused: he didn't go into the world cup match fit and is now probably paying for that. some players take much more pride playing for their country than others. they play for quite a few different teams in their career but only one country if they are lucky enough. if boogie doesn't show up for the first game of the season and continues to take the piss in the others then the fans can quite rightly get on his back but i'll wait and see what happens first before i judge him. he's one of our best players and hope he stays.

Cant see a problem him playing for his country. We have 7 in the Scotland squad.

Hopefully he gets a decent run out and returns injury free to get a bit of fitness under his belt. He was Algerias best player at the WC so its normal he is called up.

Hopefully he gets a good run out 3 days before our first competitive match? That will just tire him. One match isn't going to do much to his match fitness other than tire him.

Traveling halfway around the world isn't ideal but Bougherra is so superior to the rest of our squad that he can probably do whatever he wants and he'll still be the first name on the team sheet.

Edited by Totti