I don't feel any ill will towards Boyd or Thomson. Good luck to both of them.

I'd also say that I DO have an interest in how they get on...albeit not a huge one. For example, I taped the Football league programme for the first time ever. I'll certainly be keeping more of an eye out for the results of Middlesbrough.

Guest Northampton_loyalist

For the record, I want Boyd and Thomson to do well with their new club. Not because of them but because if two of our key players go to the championship and bomb, already poor opinions of Scottish football and Rangers will plummet further. We struggle to attract players as it is and the league is seen as micky mouse, 'star' players failing in a second teir league will do nothing to help that at all.

Edited by Northampton_loyalist

For the record, I want Boyd and Thomson to do well with their new club. Not because of them but because if two of our key players go to the championship and bomb, already poor opinions of Scottish football and Rangers will plummet further. We struggle to attract players as it is and the league is seen as micky mouse, 'star' players failing in a second teir league will do nothing to help that at all.

What's your take NL on not being able to find the money to keep our top goalscorer and Thomson, but allegedly being able to find �£4 mill + wages to throw at Jelly.

What's your take NL on not being able to find the money to keep our top goalscorer and Thomson, but allegedly being able to find �£4 mill + wages to throw at Jelly.

I think we found money for Boyd and he wanted more, open and shut for me there.

With Thommo, I think Smith is doing Coisty a bit of a favour. All these players with one year left are going to give him a headache next summer and any budget he might have could need to go towards re-signing current players, leaving little for fresh blood. My guess is that Smith is letting guys go now to save Super facing a budget shortfall in his first season, explaining the comments about not signing current players to new deals. Smith knows the job is hard enough so I think he might be willing to take the hit on the squad to make life a tiny bit easier next season.

Clearly guesswork though.

Guest Guivarc'h

Walter and Thomson have already explained his departure. We will not offer players new contracts until the actual year their contract runs out (2011 in Thomson's case) and he didn't want such uncertainty at such an early stage of his career

I think we found money for Boyd and he wanted more, open and shut for me there.

With Thommo, I think Smith is doing Coisty a bit of a favour. All these players with one year left are going to give him a headache next summer and any budget he might have could need to go towards re-signing current players, leaving little for fresh blood. My guess is that Smith is letting guys go now to save Super facing a budget shortfall in his first season, explaining the comments about not signing current players to new deals. Smith knows the job is hard enough so I think he might be willing to take the hit on the squad to make life a tiny bit easier next season.

Clearly guesswork though.

That is my point NL, if we had given Boyd and Thomson the money, we would not have alleged executives running around like demented bargain hunters trying to solve a problem of their own making.

That is my point NL, if we had given Boyd and Thomson the money, we would not have alleged executives running around like demented bargain hunters trying to solve a problem of their own making.

We offered Boyd good money and to give him more we would have needed to continue the policies that got us where we are; it looks like we now have a structure and wage limit and being honest, Boyd simply is not good enough to break that for.

Thommo, I agree with you. A new deal and security for the player would have been a sensible move I think but the truth is we dont know if he was keen to move or would have stayed. The guy is not a Rangers man but it would be unfair on him to suggest anything other than proffesionalism from him, but I can see how an un-emotionally attached player could well see benefit in moving from a club with no cash and shrinking prospects. The money we got for Thommo, if used that is, could get us a player on a 4 year deal in an area we are short in (obviously we need to wait and see just who does and does not come in) and while we are not embarrassed with riches in midfield, we can cover loss of players there more easily than elsewhere.

By selling guys with a year left Smith does a double favour in getting rid of a player who McCoist would either need to sign up or lose for nothing and he generates cash (assume for a minute we are allowed to spend a chunk of it) that can be used to get players for areas we need. Obviously signing them up would be good too, but would severely hamper any moves we might make.

As a wee aside, I wonder how much a Smith signing Jelly would be and how much a McCoist signing. if it is the latter his style would point to a continuation of the tactics employed by Smith under the next man, something that if it works will be great, but will leave alot of FF frothing at the mouth.

i dont give a monkey's about boyd (read his comments since he left)

KT - hope the guy does well as another poster said it's clear why he left....

Thats another good point RE Boyd. Some of his interviews after he moved left a very sour taste in the mouth.

Thats another good point RE Boyd. Some of his interviews after he moved left a very sour taste in the mouth.

Surprised there's not been much talk about his quotes in this thread...