McGeady primed for Moscow move

Too many people in this thread towing the Rangers supporter party line i.e. McGeady is pish. He is Celtic's best player by a mile and i'm very happy he's going

McGeady is nowhere near Celtics best player. He's our version of Kyle fuckin' Lafferty!

Jim McLEAN insists the sale of Aiden McGeady for �£10million means Celtic have pulled off the greatest piece of transfer business in the history of Scottish football.

McLean showed how to drive a hard bargain in 1993 when he forced Rangers to break the British transfer record to land Duncan Ferguson from Dundee United for a fee of �£4m.

But the Record Sport columnist thinks Celtic's chief executive Peter Lawwell is due a standing ovation from the fans for pulling off the biggest outgoing transfer from this country.

Particularly since McLean admits he wouldn't have given a penny for McGeady if the choice had been up to him.

The former Tannadice boss said: "I've no doubt the people at Spartak Moscow were given a DVD that shows McGeady beating three and four men at a time. But I'll bet you it doesn't show his attempts at crossing the ball.

"There are good players and bad ones. There are also people in management who are shrewd judges of the game and then there are dumplings who don't know what they're looking at.

"�£10m is an unbelievable amount of money to get for someone with no end product.

"McGeady has always struck me as someone who flatters to deceive and the final ball is so important in football that it's incredible to think you break a transfer record for selling a player who can't provide one.

"I can't give an estimation of what McGeady is actually worth because I wouldn't have bought him under any circumstances if I was still in club management.

"I'd only have spent that kind of money if I could have been assured my wide man would get in behind defenders and deliver telling crosses for the strikers."

McLean may not rate McGeady but he has no disagreement with the player's decision to accept life-changing money in return for going abroad and immersing himself in a culture where no player from Scotland has a track record of sustained success.

The 73-year-old said: "Big Duncan has now retired from the game and based his family in Spain on the back of the money he made from football.

"He could have made an awful lot more money in my estimation as I never felt the big man ever realised his full potential.

"However, Duncan tells me he's got enough to make him happy.

"That's why McGeady's quite right to arrive at the choice of club that's best for him.

"He's made himself financially secure for the rest of his life and that's a proud boast in a career as short as football provides.

"But, I'll tell you this, if somebody offered me the choice between a Duncan Ferguson or an Aiden McGeady I'd take big Dunc every minute of the day.

"Ferguson was unplayable because of his amazing physique. Defenders just didn't know what to do with him.

"The fans get excited by someone like McGeady drifting past three or four players but what happens at the end of those moves? At least big Dunc knew the way to goal.

"Having said that, Mister Lawwell should be applauded for his business acumen.

"The only problem for Celtic now is they have to re-invest that money wisely and they haven't presented a very good record of signing exciting players since Neil Lennon became manager.

"Quality in return for an outlay of �£10m is essential for them now."

A tax-free weekly wage of �£40,000 guarantees McGeady a mind-boggling �£8m over the next four years.

By the time his contract in Moscow is up the winger will still only be 28 and have a substantial part of his career left in front of him.

Income support will never be an issue in his life but McLean wonders to what extent McGeady's career in the shadow of the Kremlin will be affected by personal considerations.

He said: "In my experience players can't perform on the park if they're unhappy off it.

"You can earn as much money as you like but if it's not making you happy in a foreign country then that's got to have an effect on your football.

"McGeady could fail in Russia if he can't come to terms with living in the country.

"You have to wonder how much he will enjoy life when he steps outside of his native Glasgow? "There's a language barrier to conquer as well as having to win over the fans. It will be tough for him to adapt.

"I wish him well but I have to say I can't understand the extravagant nature of the deal.

"He's a good player, but �£10m? McGeady's never worth that amount."

Edited by ian1964

Most over-rated player in SPL. i think Celtic have pulled Spartak Moscow pants down tbh.

great business for them. i wish he stayed cos he flatters to deceive most of the time and most times ive seen him play against us our right back had him in his pocket :)

do you reckon wibble o/'neil quit cos he didn�t get the cash to land Mcgeady ? seems strange mcgeady said all along that he wanted to play prem footie then all of a sudden he a Spartak Moscow player. i know money talks but it�s a strange destination for him.