Ally McCoist jets out on US spy mission

Ally McCoist has flown to America to run the rule over a batch of summer signing targets.

The Rangers No.2 jetted out to New York yesterday along with midfielder Maurice Edu and will watch the USA friendly against Brazil at the New Meadowlands Stadium tomorrow night.

There was also an MLS game between Chicago and New York Red Bulls last night which McCoist was set to take in as the Light Blues assess the qualities of several players being offered to them.

Itââ?¬â?¢s understood boss Walter Smith has been tipped off about some of the up-and-coming talents beginning to make their impact at international level ââ?¬â?? and dispatched McCoist to watch them in the flesh.

Maurice Edu has also passed on information on some of his countrymen and it�s thought players such as Alejandro Bedoya and Benny Feilhaber could be on the radar providing they impress.

Bedoya is one of the most promising players within the American set-up and currently plays for Swedish side Orebro.

The 23-year-old is a left-sided midfield player with plenty of pace which is exactly what Smith is targeting this summer.

Feilhaber, 25, is operating for Danish outfit AGF Aarhus but it is thought his time there is coming to an end.

Smith hopes to secure his No.1 summer target after chief executive Martin Bain flew back to Austria on Saturday for a second round of talks with Rapid Vienna over Nikica Jelavic.

Bain has made a final pitch to the Austrian club with the transfer fee now around the �£4million mark, while a �£15,000-a-week wage offer.

Rangers now want an answer after two weeks of talks ââ?¬â?? or else they will look at other options.

The 24-year-old Croatian has said he wants to move to Ibrox, but a decision will have to be made soon.

Honduras striker Georgie Welcome remains on trial, but insiders say a deal for him is no better than 50-50 as, although he has looked decent in training, he is behind the other players in terms of fitness and unable to be judged in games due to work permit rules.

SportTimes also understands Rangers won�t be making moves for any young players at Manchester United such as Danny Wellbeck.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/ally-mccoist-jets-out-on-us-spy-mission-1.1047031

I know we are short in numbers - but given Bedoya is a LM with pace I wouldnt mind seeing him signed. However, I thought Wylde was pacy, direct, positive and confident on Saturday against a decent enough Newcastle team - I would prefer we give Wylde a shot at LM.

IF, and I appreciate it is a big IF, Wylde can continue that type of performance then he will command that LM slot for us - and given he can also play LB he and Papac could create a very, very decent partnership on that side of the pitch as they inter-change positions with Papac over-lapping.

Not saying dont sign this Bedoya lad but I would be disappointed if he got a chance before Wylde did.

I get the impression we're looking for players who would be equivalent to the better SPL players but at a fraction of the price - I'm thinking Goodwilly etc.

Coming to Scotland could also be quite attractive to the sub-superstar Americans for quite a few reasons.

Good to see Edu partaking too. I like it when I see a current player recommending other players to us - kind of shows that they care.

That said, if the players the recommend are cack then sack the current player too :devil:

Or just hope that they arent recommending them for the same reason George Best recommended one of his pals.... as a drinking buddy :thup:

Good to see Edu partaking too. I like it when I see a current player recommending other players to us - kind of shows that they care.

That said, if the players the recommend are cack then sack the current player too :devil:

Or just hope that they arent recommending them for the same reason George Best recommended one of his pals.... as a drinking buddy :thup:

Edu probably wants more Americas with him as he seemed to be really friendly with Beasley.

Although they also might have something to offer us if the price is right.