ARSENAL hitkid Nacer Barazite admits he is keen to impress during his trial spell at Rangers - after being clued in on the club by former Gers favourite Arthur Numan.

The Ibrox club ran the rule over the 20-year-old winger in last night's pre-season friendly defeat to Glentoran in Belfast.

Barazite has been given a chance to impress Walter Smith after Gunners youth chief Liam Brady tipped him off about his availability.

The Dutch Under-21 star was expected to force his way into Arsene Wenger's first-team squad last season after a fruitful loan stint at Derby when he played 36 games in the Championship.

But a shoulder injury curtailed his progress at the Emirates and with the help of Brady's favourable reports he now has the chance to win a deal with the SPL champions.

Coach Ian Durrant was in charge of a young Gers side last night and revealed Barazite has three weeks to impress and seal a loan switch.

Durrant said: "Nacer comes highly recommended by Liam.

"You can tell he has something.

Arthur Numan coached him with the Dutch Under-21 squad and gave him a glowing report and you can see he has quality.

"We've got him here for a threeweek trial to take a closer look." Barazite, who has a year left on his Gunners contract, admitted Numan was a big influence in his decision to try his luck at Gers.

He said: "Moving to Rangers would be good for me.

"It would be a step forward, not back, because they are a big club playing in the Champions League.

"I met Arthur a couple of times and have spoken to him about Rangers and his experiences.

"As everyone knows he is a big man at the club and was a very good player so I know all about the team thanks to him.

"Liam Brady has taken me to Arsenal and I'm pleased he is trying to get me a chance at Rangers. "It was a good start for me tonight and I was pleased with my own performance but I know I can do much better with more training."

Barazite was a team-mate of Scotland winger Gary Teale at Pride Park two seasons ago and he believes the Dutchman could solve Smith's search for a new wide boy. Teale, now at Sheffield Wednesday, reckons Barazite is ideally suited to Scottish football and insists if it wasn't for his injury he could have made an impact in Wenger's star-studded first-team.

He said: "When Nacer left Derby, myself and the rest of the boys expected him to go back and challenge for a place in Wenger's team - that's how highly we all rated him.

"I always felt, though, that if Nacer didn't make it at Arsenal he'd go to another club and do really well. I hope that can be Rangers.

"Nacer has so much ability and to think he's still only 20 is incredible.

He's a big, strong boy for his age - he has a great physique and I'm sure he'd do well at Rangers.

"At Derby, he played down one wing and I played on the other. I think if you asked him, he'd want to play in-field a bit, either in the hole behind a striker or up front.

"But he was a winger with us and at times he went past players as if they weren't there.

"When he came into our training, he immediately impressed me. He wasn't like a lot of young kids who come in and take time to find their feet. Because of his size and stature, he adapted right away.

"We didn't look on him as a young boy because he was so quick and strong.

"He could be a real good signing for Walter and would be ideal for Scottish football because of his power."

Sounds like the lad has a lot of talent,he must be worth a gamble!!

Don't like loan deals... Not often they work all that well IMO.

Would prefer we signed him permanently if we really want him.

is he not in the last year of his contract, so might be a year loan deal and if he does well a permanent contract, unless he does really well and moves elsewhere :whistle:

is he not in the last year of his contract, so might be a year loan deal and if he does well a permanent contract, unless he does really well and moves elsewhere :whistle:

Not sure mate.

Problem with that is, like you say, if he does well then another team may register a stronger interest at some point over the season.

Loan deals never fill me with excitement.