Gers Swoop For Beattie And Smith

WALTER still hopeful of Jelavic deal too

More...

WALTER SMITH is hopeful that both James Beattie and Tommy Smith wll be Rangers players in time for Saturday's SPL opener against Kilmarnock.

The Rangers boss confirmed that negotiations are currently taking place to secure Stoke striker Beattie and Portsmouth frontman Smith.

Beattie is in Glasgow today and the signs are that the former Everton and England striker will become the first signing in two years.

Negotiations are also well advanced for Smith, who can play in wide areas, and the Rangers boss has not given up on landing Rapid Vienna's Croatian star Nikica Jelavic.

He said: "We are currently in negotiation with both Stoke and Portsmouth with regard to the signing of James Beattie and Tommy Smith. Just where we are exactly is always difficult to say but discussions are taking place.

"Hopefully we can manage to conclude both deals.

"We are still progressing the move to sign Nikica Jelavic but I must admit the longer it goes the more doubtful I become over whether it will happen.

"There have been more complications in that one than we imagined. A lot of these things don't go smoothly and this one certainly hasn't. But we haven't given up on that one.

"It's been frustrating because these dealings have been on-going for about three weeks now but hopefully we can clear things up in the next day or two.

"We hope Beattie and Smith would be tied up for Saturday."

Edited by Frankie

OK, the Eagles farce shows these things are never set in stone but it does look like we'll have a new player or two for Saturday.

Ah come on Frankie,Rangers are just out of practice of negotiating new signings:)

Guest Flying Hippo
Why would a manager not known for his attacking propensities, be allegedly trying to sign more strikers than Scottish Bluebell. :)

We've played 4-4-2 in 99% of domestic games for the last 2 years

Why would a manager not known for his attacking propensities, be allegedly trying to sign more strikers than Scottish Bluebell. :)

I think we've as much chance of signing Jelavic as I have of winning the lottery.

Beattie and Smith look more likely - giving us a striker and a wide player ala Novo. The loan signing of the Arsenl lad brings us to three.

Job done - millions spent and only one player with sell on value if we eventually sign him. Risky stuff but they will improve our chances of winning the title.

I think we've as much chance of signing Jelavic as I have of winning the lottery.

Beattie and Smith look more likely - giving us a striker and a wide player ala Novo. The loan signing of the Arsenl lad brings us to three.

Job done - millions spent and only one player with sell on value if we eventually sign him. Risky stuff but they will improve our chances of winning the title.

While that's an ideal situation Frankie, it is not always about a sell on value,IMO, if Beattie comes in and scores goals and we win the league again then that alone should justify his signing and help generate more income by hopefully getting into Europe again