Russians in �£75m Rangers takeover

THE Russian tycoon putting up almost �£75million to buy Rangers is from a dynasty dogged by allegations of links to the MAFIA and MONEY-LAUNDERING.

But Gers fans will happily become Russian Bears and hail Vladimir Antonov a saviour if he funds a takeover that wipes out the Ibrox outfit's �£30million debt mountain and provides cash to buy players.

Antonov, 35, has had to angrily deny stories that his family's business empire is associated with the underworld and money-laundering.

The banking magnate recently had a third �£6million bid to buy AFC Bournemouth rejected by the lowly English team. And last year his father Alexander, 60, survived being shot 18 times outside his luxury Moscow apartment in a failed assassination attempt.

Antonov and his business associate Roman Dubov are providing most of the cash for English property developer Andrew Ellis to launch a new bid for the SPL champs.

The sensational move comes just two months after owner Sir David Murray took Rangers off the market after Ellis had spent months trying for a takeover. But it has now emerged that Ellis, 41, could be WEEKS away from taking control thanks to Antonov.

Last night a source close to the controversial Russian businessman said: "The takeover is 99 per cent certain.

"The only real issues left are ones of timing for the announcement and the practical administration of the takeover deal. Sir David has not yet met Vladimir or Roman but he's been assured that the money is there, it's real and the deal can be done."

Antonov, who is thought to be worth more than �£200million, made most of his fortune from corporate banking. His father controls the Russian bank Convers Group.

And Rangers fans will be hoping he can pour millions into their club - just like his fellow Russian tycoon Roman Abramovich has done at Chelsea.

But the Antonovs have been dogged by claims of links to organised crime.

Last March, Vladimir's dad Alexander was left with a severe chest injury after he and his bodyguard were blasted in the street by a

gunman. They were both rushed to hospital for life-saving surgery.

And last year it emerged the FBI, US government and the Swedish security agency Sapo had all expressed fears over the Antonovs' operations. They had been investigated by Sapo's financial experts over their involvement with car maker Spyker.

The little-known Dutch firm had announced plans to buy Swedish giants Saab from American parent company General Motors. But Sapo claimed it had found connections between the Antonovs and organised crime as well as involvement in money-laundering.

To stop the Russians gaining control of Saab, the Swedes handed their files to the FBI and US government - who then put pressure on General Motors to ensure that the Antonovs had no involvement in any takeover.

Vladimir was forced to sell his stake in Spyker and sever his ties with the company before the deal was agreed.

But he was FURIOUS at how he had been singled out by the Swedish and American authorities.

In February he wrote to the New York Times newspaper to condemn the "surreal allegations of alleged "economic crimes", "money-laundering" and other "false horror stories".

Antonov, who has a home in Kent, insisted: "The main aim of those who should have been worried about Saab's survival now moved to ensure the exclusion of this 'evil' Russian investor."

He added that: "On December 18, 2009, the deal between GM and Spyker was suspended. I was forced to give up my investment in Spyker because the Swedish government had threatened to veto the deal, insinuating that I had ties with criminal organisations.

"There was no proof, but rumours were spread in the media. It is obvious European business has strong prejudices against investors from Russia."

The Financial Services Authority has also refused Antonov a UK operating licence for Bankas Snoras, a subsidiary of his family's financial empire.

Snoras, the largest listed bank in Lithuania, was first knocked back by the FSA in 2008. According to the regulators, the bank had given "misleading and incomplete" answers to them.

The FSA also criticised Antonov, the chairman of Snoras Bankas's supervisory board, personally, saying: "These failures are not an isolated instance but are examples of an ongoing pattern of behaviour by institutions controlled by Mr Antonov."

However, Snoras officials insist the authority's reservations about their controls on money-laundering and financial crime were unjustified.

Antonov's involvement in the new Rangers takeover bid is not the first time he and Dubov, 36, have tried to get involved in British football.

Only last month the pair failed with THREE offers to buy English League One side AFC Bournemouth. After rejecting their bids, club chairman Eddie Mitchell said: "I was approached by an agent on behalf of the Russians.

"He asked if I'd be interested in selling my shares. I didn't have to think about it. I just said no."

The bids for Bournemouth had been submitted through a third party on behalf of Convers Group Holdings.

Now Rangers fans will be hoping that Bournemouth's loss is their gain.

Ellis and his consortium first tabled a bid for the Ibrox club in March but the �£33million offer failed to impress Sir David Murray and the takeover seemed dead in the water.

In June, the Gers owner announced: "Murray International Holdings has received interest in its controlling stake from a number of parties.

At this time, however, the board of MIH has not been able to secure an offer which it considers to be in the best interests of the club, its shareholders and its fans.

The interests of stakeholders are presently best served by providing the football management team and board with an opportunity to implement its business plan.

MIH hereby announces it is no longer marketing its controlling stake in the club for sale."

But the News of the World understands Sir David is now ready to do business with Ellis, business partner Chris Akers, 46, and their mega-rich Russian backers.

An influx of cash would be welcomed by Light Blues boss Walter Smith, who has overseen an exodus of players from last season's SPL-winning squad.

Middlesbrough snapped up striker Kris Boyd, 26, and midfielder Kevin Thompson, 25, while left back Steven Smith, 24, moved to Norwich.

Defender Danny Wilson, 18, signed for Liverpool, Nacho Novo, 31, returned to his native Spain and American forward DaMarcus Beasley, 28, has also left. Last week Rangers fans were dealt a further blow when we revealed their manager would not get a penny of the �£12million Champions League windfall to spend on strengthening his squad. But on Friday, Smith finally made his first signing in two years when Stoke City striker James Beattie, 32, joined the club in a �£1m deal.

Now the Gers faithful will be hoping Antonov can match the success of his countryman Abramovich at Chelsea.

The 43-year-old tycoon - worth an an estimated �£7.2billion - bought the London club in 2003 for �£140million.

The gas and steel magnate hired manager Jose Mourinho, 47, then splashed out millions on the team, including �£30.8m for Andriy Shevchenko.

In 2005 his spending brought Chelsea their first title in 50 years and they've gone on to win eight major trophies.

The Teddy Bears will hope Antonov can bring them the same kind of result.

:whistle:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_news/909736/Banking-tycoon-is-behind-sensational-new-Ellis-bid.html

Don't see this as a goer at all, another spoiler from News International, don't forget the same "mob" employs that wee nyaff Speirs (sic). On another recent thread there was talk of what Rangers stood for. I didn't contribute, although I subscribe to the "Wabash" school of thought. Rangers stand for integrity, both on a personal and corporate level. This would be a step back into the Dark Ages, I don't care how much money this guy is supposed to have. The suspicion I have is that we may be looking at a "laundering exercise" please feel free to rip this post apart, but, I hae ma doubts.

I cannot wait for Wabash to get his teeth into this , I am by nature the biggest optimist when it comes to any takeover that get's rid of Murray , but even I think this is utter rubish

If Aids McGayday had moved to China, some dim tim would have dropped a fictional crap of a story in the toilet known as the NOTW about Triads funding Ellis to takeover Rangers. The people that write garbage like this would get beaten in a talent contest by lobotomized goats.