Miller rejects new contract offer.

I do have a dislike for Miller, as a footballer, for the following reasons.

His first touch is very poor, and often goes further than some can kick it.

His finishing, although it improved last year, is still woeful for a striker, and the more time he has, the worse he gets.

He is dreadful at staying onside, even at around the halfway line he often finds a way to stray into an offside position, despite having the pace to outrun most defenders.

His goalscoring record, taking last season out as a fluke, has always been poor for the number of games he plays.

Turning to his second spell with us, I would add the following;

His first season was a poor one, with his performance in Kaunas still one of the worst I have ever seen from a Rangers centre forward.

With the amount of chances our team created for him that year, he should have outscored Boyd.

He is injury prone, and will miss many games with injuries every year.

When he loses form, he stays out of form for weeks/months. Similarly, when he is in a scoring streak he looks much better, but you know it wont last, and it doesnt.

As a lone striker, you know we wont score many, as he comes so deep, the opposition back 4 could get the deckchairs out.

And let me just say that my dislike is nothing to do with him having played for Timmy, as I openly cheered when he signed for them and was hoping he would stay there much longer than he did. I have no problem with us playing players who played for them, or support them, if they are good enough and apply themselves properly for us, that is good enough for me.

Kenny Miller is not the type of player I like, and therefore I dont like him in my team. He gets my full support for 90 minutes every week, and I do try to contain my frustration when he blazes another good chance over the bar, or is caught offside at the half way line, or fails to make the obvious run into the channels to create space, or traps the ball so far it goes to someone else, and I cheer as loudly and proudly as anyone when he scores, but I can and do see faults in every part of his game, as is my right.

If other bears choose to ignore these faults then that is entirely a matter for them, and I have no problem with that either, as we are all Bears after all.

I think your analysis of him as a player is spot on, and hard to argue with. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad signing, though, as that brings in different other factors such as 'could you have got more for less' and 'despite his limitations, have we had our money's worth?' etc. For me he falls into the not-that-great-footballer-but-in-the-scale-of-things-decent-signing category along with people like Broadfoot, Murray, McInness etc. It's certainly preferable to good-football-player-but-bad-signing which boasts people like Flo and Kanchelskis who were undeniably talented but underdelivered relative to things like fees and wages.

Guest Flying Hippo

I wouldn't have even attempted to word it better than that. Just because Miller has limitations as a player (though far, far less than Boyd or Lafferty) does not mean he's an "imposter" or a bad signing. Last season was the most impressive season-long performance from a Rangers forward i've seen since Dado Prso in the 04/05 season

I think your analysis of him as a player is spot on, and hard to argue with. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad signing, though, as that brings in different other factors such as 'could you have got more for less' and 'despite his limitations, have we had our money's worth?' etc. For me he falls into the not-that-great-footballer-but-in-the-scale-of-things-decent-signing category along with people like Broadfoot, Murray, McInness etc. It's certainly preferable to good-football-player-but-bad-signing which boasts people like Flo and Kanchelskis who were undeniably talented but underdelivered relative to things like fees and wages.

I find it hard to argue with that as well bmck, although for �£2M I think we are entitled to believe we were getting a better quality than the honest trier pros like Broadfoot, Murray and McInnes that you mention, all of which were signed for next to nothing, or nothing at all.

And that is a big part of my argument. Had Miller been signed on a free or a �£500K, and on average squad wages, I wouldnt have quite a bee in my bonnet about him!!

Christ a "slow start" it certainly wasn't. That Steve Coogan commentary over the top of those porkheid goals was magic. "Twat!"

I just seem to recall aside those goals he was a bit slow to get going. But we're going back almost 2 years now so who cares :D