Miller in pay cut shock!!

I'm with Danny on this one, i'd rather watch the EPL or even the championship!!

Id go with that, My fave is EPL followed by Bundesliga and Ive watched a lot of the Championship in the last 2 years and quite enjoy it.

I used to really like Serie A when it burst on Channel 4 years ago but its went downhill a bit since.

tbh fwiw I can actually see were Hippo is coming from. The SPL is a total backwater league, and it's the OF alone who attract a slightly better calibre of player because they can afford to - not because the prospect of playing for Rangers in the SPL is the right level for incoming players.

No, the SPL is a typical small country league with two huge (well one huge, and one big) teams in it. It doesn't matter what the prospect of playing in the SPL are; the SPL is the quality of the players that it attracts. Having two bigger teams means the SPL's quality is slightly higher than a country of comparible size with no bigger teams. We've had players that are 'too good' for us playing for us for years, according to F_H - the only sensible answer is that they're not too good for us. As a good player you can either player for an average team in a big league, or big team in an average league, and many players have chosen the latter with little regret.

My opinion is that if a player could hold his own in the EPL, he is too good to be playing in Scottish football. It doesn't mean i don't want him. 12 years ago our entire team was too good for the SPL

I dont disagree with you on much topics but have to on this. What you are saying is the SPL doesnt nor will ever deserve a quality player - thats a nonsense. So the best should remain in the top leagues only?? It may be the case that some players use the SPL as a stepping stone to England but this is purely down to the money Sky pumped in down south. Its a generation thing. Sky could collapse and tons of english clubs could go into debt.

20 years ago it was a reverse situation, the top English players were coming north to play in our league- Butcher, Woods, Stevens, Steven, Hateley, Wilkins, Francis etc, crikey even aberdeen managed to sign Charlie Nicholas from Arsenal in the 80s. Then we attracted quality players in the 90s and early 00s. Celtic did this also with Thom, Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio and Larsson as well as getting Lambert to return from Germany. Then 30 and 40 years ago you had the best from Scotland going down south and being the best in England so to me that says we could hold our own against English clubs.

I agree the SPL has went backwards but there are a number of reasons for it 1) TV money (and lack of it) 2) The amount of leagues / clubs in the country 3) The jokers who run the game (SPL, SFA, SFL - too many bodies) 4) The structure 5) Playing winter football on frozen pitches....i could go on here.

Ronaldo, Xavi and Iniesta I will give you - all 3 of them have done it at the world cup, Euros, and CL. Messi hasn't.

As for your question: Arshavin, Fabregas, Scholes, Rooney, Drogba. All have done it domestically and at the highest levels.

(btw, no one touches Iniesta for me - best player on earth by a mile)

Eh? Arshavin, Scholes, Rooney and Drogba haven't done it at the World Cup. Yes, they've played at WCs (possibly not Arshavin) but that doesn't mean they've done it at the highest level. By the way, I'm a huge fan of Scholes, probably the best midfielder who's played in the EPL.

Messi on the other hand has. He's won the CL and played well at the WC in South Africa. OK he never scored but he set-up a fair few goals and had an incredibly high completed pass rate. How you can say Messi hasn't done it at a high level is absurd.

The EPL is a financial time bomb, �£3.6 billion, yes billion in debt at the last count, even with Sky money, and the irony of it all is, that it is Sky money (that's yours and mine) that has fuelled the madness.

Are you a Sky subscriber?