Nothing to do with the fact that we've played at least about 6 scots in our starting line ups since Walter returned and have contributed 8 players this time (along with former players in Adam and Boyd) whilst the tims have one?

Seems a wee bit fishy when you think about it, eh?

I think Weir's the best CB we have if we're looking for the "safe" option of someone who is fit & reliable, not to mention the fact he has vast experience and seems to be a calming influence on those around him. Its a sad indictment of some of our defenders, but I think he'd still be the first name on the teamsheet, albeit alongside someone younger like Berra or Webster.

I don't think his fitness is a problem as such, but he is slowing down obviously. His selection (for us as well) is a trade-off, looking at his other abilities and accepting that he's not the quickest and has poor distribution. But it looks like Levein would rather have that than some of the other car-crash defenders who've played for national side recently.

I can't see any good coming from this; Weir will compromise his recovery between domestic matches, while he is neither the future nor, in all truth, good enough at international level, even against the Baltic states. Smacks of panic by Levein. Heaven forfend he ever gets to go up the Marble Staircase.

I'm a Scotland fan and I want the best team possible to be playing. Given the performance against Sweden, it is clear we need some experience at the back. There is no more experienced centre half playing the game, so why not? Weir has hardly missed any games in his time at Ibrox, despite his years so I am quite happy for him to play. I am sure that if Weir felt that playing for Scotland was adversely impacting his ability to play for Rangers, he would quit.

Agree with that. And the defence against Sweden was awful, no way will we qualify playing the likes of Kenneth.

You've got to wonder if we need better players or a better manager. Walter and Eck did pretty well with a squad that was no better than Vogts, Burley and Levein...

If our coefficient had been decent and we were seeded higher, we'd have easily qualified for a couple of finals under the two Rangers men.