McGregor to be handed one match ban

The Scottish Football Association has handed Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor a one match ban for aiming a kick at Chris Maguire during a match against Aberdeen. McGregor will now miss the SPL match against Motherwell on October 16.

The Rangers keeper was not punished during the match but the incident was reported to the SFA who convened their disciplinary committee on Friday and sent their verdict by post to club and player before announcing the punishment on Saturday. McGregor played for Scotland in the 1-0 defeat to Czech Republic on Friday night, prompting questions over the timing of the decision and announcement.

It is understood the incident wasn’t referred to the video panel until 10 days after it occurred, with new SFA chief executive Stewart Regan asking for the independent board to take a look at the matter after it was brought to his attention.

The board, which was chaired by Sandy Stables of the Aberdeenshire and District FA, comprised one former referee, an ex-manager and a former player. After reviewing video evidence of the incident, they handed McGregor a ban and added 12 disciplinary points to his record.

Rangers won the match in question 3-2, coming from two goals behind to continue their 100 per cent start to the 2010/11 season. They will now have to do without their first choice keeper as they look to extend that run against Motherwell next week, with Neil Alexander expected to deputise.

McGregor will now continue his preparations for Scotland’s match on Tuesday night against Spain in the Euro 2012 qualifiers. The keeper was one of Scotland’s outstanding performers against Czech Republic in Prague, making at least two top-class saves.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/201917-rangers-mcgregor-handed-one-match-ban/

What I don't understand with this fiasco is,if someone complains about an incident in a match and then it is reviewed and a punishment is handed out, should the person/persons who made the complaint not be made public???, or is it simply a case of any fan,anonymous, can initiate the video panel to look at incidents???.

Putting aside the question of how the incident got to be reviewed in the first place, McGregor had an excellent game for Scotland and then decided near the end to bundle over Bednar after making a routine catch. I realise I've not seen the incident replayed and that Bednar made a meal of it, but I remember thinking at the time that he just can't help himself and wondering if he'll ever learn?

Putting aside the question of how the incident got to be reviewed in the first place, McGregor had an excellent game for Scotland and then decided near the end to bundle over Bednar after making a routine catch. I realise I've not seen the incident replayed and that Bednar made a meal of it, but I remember thinking at the time that he just can't help himself and wondering if he'll ever learn?

I don't think he'll ever learn. It's in his nature to do the things he does.

Does anyone think if the ref had seen the incident at the time, it would have been anymore than a yellow card ?

Yet the punishment is 1 game and 12 points.

I know he is an idiot, but that is out of all proportion to what happened.

We need to know who reported it, and who was on the panel.

Does anyone think if the ref had seen the incident at the time, it would have been anymore than a yellow card ?

Yet the punishment is 1 game and 12 points.

I know he is an idiot, but that is out of all proportion to what happened.

We need to know who reported it, and who was on the panel.

Correct,I still find it hard to believe that ALL the match officials missed it!!!!.