At FT last night I was totally gutted that we never won the match but who honestly thought we'd be sitting on 5 points from the 9 available? Especially after last seasons horrendous campaign. I was expecting/hoping for 3 if I'm honest.

What we've achieved so far this season in the CL is fantastic.

Yeah, amazing that we're disappointed not to be joint top with 7 points but we have to be happy with the 5 so far as we've played very well in every game and just been a bit unlucky not to have scored more goals.

Valencia and Bursaspor will be very tough matches away though so we're far from guaranteed 3rd position, never mind managing to secure qualification for the next CL round.

Add in Celtic away this weekend, then the hard work is only just starting!

Yeah, amazing that we're disappointed not to be joint top with 7 points but we have to be happy with the 5 so far as we've played very well in every game and just been a bit unlucky not to have scored more goals.

Valencia and Bursaspor will be very tough matches away though so we're far from guaranteed 3rd position, never mind managing to secure qualification for the next CL round.

Add in Celtic away this weekend, then the hard work is only just starting!

Celtic! Easy Peasy!:robbo:

While I am as surprised and delighted as my fellow bears at having 5 points already, the hard work only really starts now.

We have managed to be in a good position at the halfway point on more than one occassion in the group stages, only for it to come crashing down when push comes to shove in the final 3 games.

Trips to Valencia and Bursa, with the visit of Man United in between, could quite easily see us remain on 5 points at the end of the group stage, and while I am confident that would see us move into the Diddy Cup come February, and that that was our realistic aim at the outset, I doubt I am alone in thinking it would be now be seen as a chance wasted to join the really big boys in the tournament proper for only the second time since the format changed to the current version.

I said at the start I would gladly take 4 points from this group and 3rd place, and concentrate on winning the title, so I am absolutely delighted that we have went through the first half of the campaign unbeaten, and having only conceded 1 goal, and an OG at that.

As always in this format, the next game is going to be oh so important, and a score draw in Valencia will give us a great chance of eliminating them into the Diddy Cup and us taking their seeded place in the last 16. However let us not get too carried away, i'm off to book tickets for Wembley!

Trips to Valencia and Bursa, with the visit of Man United in between, could quite easily see us remain on 5 points at the end of the group stage, and while I am confident that would see us move into the Diddy Cup come February, and that that was our realistic aim at the outset, I doubt I am alone in thinking it would be now be seen as a chance wasted to join the really big boys in the tournament proper for only the second time since the format changed to the current version.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we lost all three remaining games, I think we're capable of getting a point in Turkey at the very least.

Tell you what though, if we do end up in the Europa League, we shouldn't fear anyone after our performances this season. Dublin anyone?

I dont see the contrast of styles in Valencia being any different to last night, which actually bodes well for us.

WS will continue to use his 5-4-1 (with the media continuing to call it defensive despite the number of chances we create) and if we play in the same manner there is every reason to believe we can get AT LEAST a point. Valencia will be looking to venture further forward and, should the over-commit, it leaves the likes of Weiss, Davis, Naismith and Miller to very quickly hit on the counter.

I actually like this 5-4-1 tactic WS is using for a number of reasons :

1. The 5 at the back with 3 CB's means Weir's lack of pace doesnt get exposed too often and when it does there is cover.

2. The 2 full backs are asked to get forward and support the midfield, effectively creating a 3-5-2 (or is it 3-6-1 or is it 3-4-3 or.... ??) when in possession

3. Allowing the opponents flood forward onto our two solid banks of 5 and 4 is effective because as soon as we recover the ball we have the above named players (Weiss, Davis, Naismith, Miller) who all can break very quickly, making it difficult for the opponents to recover their shape quickly.

I think that given the personnel we have that WS has made us not only a difficult team to beat but also one that is operating highly effectively in breaking and hitting on the counter quickly. WS really is using the personnel resources he has available to the best use that we possibly could. Not sure if any of us could deny that.

So a BIG hats off to WS for the formation he has created for the CL. And it also proves that he IS adaptable (am sure previously we have seen on here how WS never changes his formation or tactics etc etc) - I think this season is dispelling that notion.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we lost all three remaining games, I think we're capable of getting a point in Turkey at the very least.

Tell you what though, if we do end up in the Europa League, we shouldn't fear anyone after our performances this season. Dublin anyone?

Dont get me wrong Norris, i'd be gutted as well if we lost the last 3 games in the group, was just pointing out that we have a track rrecord of starting well and ending poorly, plus looking at the 3 games it wouldnt be a shock to lose in Spain or even at home to Man U, and the Turks are generally better at home and will be fighting to avoid an embarrassing whitewash.

What would you settle for just now , securing second place and getting one more round agaist a group winner or taking your chances of another Europa league run , remembering that Jelavic will be fit ( hopefully) and that some resources may be freed up to bolster the team .

Also whilst we are doing great coeficcient wise , we need remember that we lose 14.5 points this year and over 22 next year . It is essential that we maintain a mid 30's position in the seedings

So a BIG hats off to WS for the formation he has created for the CL. And it also proves that he IS adaptable (am sure previously we have seen on here how WS never changes his formation or tactics etc etc) - I think this season is dispelling that notion.

Agree with everything you say Criag, however, until our 1st game in the CL, I've never seen WS adapt a formation. The only Rangers manager I can successfully recall doing such is Dick Advocaat.