Kilmarnock 0 : 2 Rangers - CIS Cup QF

It'll be cold, wet and miserable at Rugby Park tonight but that won't dampen the spirits of the Rangers players or supporters after Sundays result. We're back to domestic cup duties tonight after recent games against top european and average domestic clubs in the Champions League and SPL.

We're full of confidence after Sundays terrific result and performance while Kilmarnock are suffering badly after yet another defeat. This won't an easy game, well, no easier than Sundays anyway.

As I posted in another thread earlier today, WS will be resting several key men for the game tonight. The likes of McGregor, Miller, Naismith, Davis, Boogie and/or Weir being the likely candidates to be given the night off. Papac is of course injured after the horrific tackle he was victim too on Sunday.

Alexander is a more than capable backup GK to have and he'll step into the Number 1 jersey with confidence and go about his business like he always does - quietly.

I can see Foster, Broadfoot and Webster forming 3 of the 4 defenders tonight. Will it be Boogie or Weir who's dropped though? I'd personally rest Weir as he's closer to pension age than Bougherra by about 30 years. Although Foster was dropped to the bench after his impressive display against Valencia, his confidence levels should still be sky high. I expect the same from him tonight, bombing up and down that left wing, assisting Wylde while we're on the attack.

Midfield should see the return of Vladimir Weiss to the starting XI. I was surprised to see him out the starting XI against Celtic but yet again, WS got his team selection and tactics to spot on. Who'll be playing alongside him though? Kyle Hutton is a shoe-in to start after his impressive display against Dunfermline in the previous round. Gregg Wylde could play on the left of midfield and give us a good option down the wing with his pace. I can't decide if I'd pick Edu or "Elbows" to partner Hutton in the midfield. McCulloch because he needs some matches to regain his match fitness or Edu because he hasn't played that many games this season. I'd probably go for Edu for two reasons - 1) McCullch looked out of sorts against Celtic and 2) Edu has played well in the previous 2 games.

Our strikeforce kind of picks itself. Thriller will be rested with Beattie being his probable replacement. Lafferty should partner him upfront as he's finally coming onto a game. He's slowly finding his feet and I feel it's important to keep his confidence increasing by playing him tonight. Beattie needs a goal to get his Rangers career going. He;s not really done much in the games he's played but a wee goal tonight should do him no end of good.

Killie shouldn't offer us to many problems tonight. As I mentioned earlier, they're struggling and we're flying at the moment but anything can happen. I can't even name a key man for Killie as I don't know any of their players!! If Danny Invincible still plays for them I'll choose him as the man to watch.

Ok, so my team would be:

:na:

:kb: :mb: :aw: :rf:

:vw: :me: :kh: :gw:

:kl: :jb:

Prediction - 2-0 Rangers.

Lafferty and Beattie.

Apologies for not getting this posted sooner, I totally forgot yesterday as I was busy doing absolutely nothing!

:D

Edited by Gazza_8

Would be fairly happy with that line up, but id probably play McCulloch rather than Edu and maybe start Fleck rather than Wylde.

Forgot all about Fleck. I noticed he was on the bench on Sunday I would probably start with Fleck ahead of Wylde too.

Never an easy game for us down there - especially with all the energy consumed in games against Valencia and Celtic.

In some ways, I'm glad we have this game before a league game as all too often we drop points immediately after getting a result against Celtic.

To combat this, I'd certainly rest a few players but try to maintain the confidence and morale of remaining unbeaten.

:al: :mb: :aw: :kb:

:vw: :me: :kh: :jf:

:jb: :kl:

Edited by Frankie

Making my second away trip this season tonight, looking forward to it.

Foster is cup tied, so i would imagine Little will fill the missing full back roll. Bougherra & Webster at cb.

Midfield, Weiss, Hutton, Davis & Fleck

Lafferty & Beattie up front.

:al: :mb: :aw: :kb:

:vw: :sd: :kh: :jf:

:jb: :kl:

looks good to me :)

Smith won't make too many changes, will throw in a couple of players to get match fitness and first team experience. Smith knows the important thing is to win the game. That side there should easily win.

Edited by fraser54