Is Darren Cole Being Groomed To Replace Weir And Boughera?

SCOTLAND Under-21 new boy Darren Cole yesterday revealed that he is being groomed to play at centre-half for Rangers next season.

Cole made his debut at right-back for the Ibrox club in the 1-1 draw with Bursaspor in a dead-rubber Champions League game back in December.

He hasn't featured in the first team since, but he has been instructed to bulk up in order to anchor the Rangers rearguard in the 2011/11 campaign.

Cole, 19, said: ""It's a season of firsts for me. I've just joined the Scotland Under-21 squad for the first time, and I made my debut for Rangers against Bursaspor in Turkey a couple of months ago.

"Following that game, the management at Rangers spoke to me about building myself up and getting bigger and stronger, so I'll get more chances to play.

"I've been working as hard as I can in the gym, and hopefully it will pay off.There's a sports scientists there so there's no way you can cheat as you're always under supervision."

Edinburgh-born Cole was a shock choice to line up against the Turkish champions and he admitted he didn't even get the opportunity to worry about it adding : "I only got told I was playing in the Champions League a few hours before the game so I didn't have time to be nervous.

"As soon as I touched the ball a couple of times I was fine. The management were saying after the game that I could still play right-back, but they want me to play centre-half, and that's why I have to bulk up.

"They're looking at next season for me now so I just have to get as much playing experience as possible in the meantime, and hopefully I can get some game time with the Under-21s in our bounce games this week.

"I think I'll end up at centre-back but I prefer right-back or even left-back, as you're getting on the ball more and you can influence the game more."

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/227925/Is-Darren-Cole-being-groomed-to-replace-Weir-and-Boughera-/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting but I'd have thought Ross Perry was the more natural successor at centre half.

It's not the Rangers way though Frankie :) We always have to train players for other positions rather than their more natural or own preferred ones!

If this transpires, Cole would not be the first player - and certainly wont be the last - to develop initially in one position, but settle down as a first team player in a different position. Richard Gough anyone?

I think it must be incredibly difficult to definitively choose a player's "natural position" at a young age. Just how would you do that and how do you know how he will develop before he fully matures as a player?

In fact, positions are probably pretty arbitrary to start with...

At the end of the day we are currently in financial sire straits, so you have to work with what you have.

Perhaps WS & AM see Cole as being an effective CB and given we have Whittake and Broadfoot (when fit) who will play at RB. Perhaps the management team see that the guy reads the game well enough that he would work well at CB.

A player's preferred position doesnt mean it is the position he is best at.

Interesting but I'd have thought Ross Perry was the more natural successor at centre half.

Maybe they're preparing for a possible situation where we have Cole & Perry playing together in central defence! ;)

Maybe they're preparing for a possible situation where we have Cole & Perry playing together in central defence! ;)

What? Play 2 youngsters in central defence? There's more chance of Weir getting a new 4 year deal than that happening.

:boogie: