Weiss reveals Rangers boss Smith went berserk

One of the major reasons we sit so deep is the pedestrian Weir, tactics or lack of them appear to be built around this pedestrian flaw.

Not many could disagree with that. Sadly our options at CB are limited. I would have Bartley in there.... but in such an important fixture as a crucial OF game ? not so sure.

Is it just me that is under-whelmed heading into this weekend ? Yet another OF game... and we have another 3 to come after this one. Boooriinnnnngggggg.

No you are not the only one to be underwhelmed, old firm games were once something to build up to and savour, familiarity does indeed breed contempt, they are now much of a muchness.

I don't believe a word of the report, I can't see it reported anywhere in a Scottish or British entity.

Vladimir Weiss believes Rangers paid for failing to keep the pressure on Sporting after taking the lead in their 1-1 Europa League draw at Ibrox.

"We are obviously not happy because we had many chances to score and we didn't take them," said the Rangers winger.

"I think we should have put more pressure on them after the first goal because, in the second half, we were the better team.

"The manager doesn't like when we sit back and that wasn't our plan."

Weiss sidestepped suggestions that he had failed to prevent Joao Pereira crossing for Matias Fernandez to head Sporting's equaliser in the closing minutes of the first-leg tie in the last 32 stage of the competition.

"We were a bit unlucky with the goal we conceded," he insisted. "But the second game is still open and we will just need to go there and try to win the game.

"They had the possession after we scored and created a few chances.

There is still all to play for. I don't think there is a great deal between the teams

Rangers captain David Weir

"But their defence was open after the goal and we were just unlucky that we did not take the chances we had."

Rangers captain David Weir also denied it had been a conscious tactic to sit back after taking the lead through Steven Whittaker's 66th-minute header.

"At 1-0, it's a funny one because, do you stick or twist, try getting another one and risk losing one?" said the defender.

"It's a difficult one, it's finely balanced and obviously it didn't work out for us this time."

Sporting will reach the last 16 if they keep a clean sheet in the return leg in Portugal on Thursday.

"To lose a goal as late as we did after managing to get in front and improving as the game went on, obviously the overall feeling is disappointment," said Weir.

"There is still all to play for. I don't think there is a great deal between the teams.

"I'm sure they will feel they have the upper hand now, but I still think we have every chance in the tie.

"I think it will be the team that plays better on the night will go through and we have to make sure that's us.

"The fact that we created chances when there was so little time left gives us hope."

Rangers reached the final of the Uefa Cup in 2008 after seeing off Panathinaikos, Sporting and Fiorentina following goalless first legs at Ibrox.

However, Weir does not think the Portuguese side's away goal will radically alter the dynamics of the second leg.

"I don't think it will make a great deal of difference," he added.

"We will approach the game in the same way and we will just have to take out chances when they come along.

"We just have to get the balance right between creating them and keeping the door shut at the back."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9401558.stm

Ian, I know this isnt you... but that 2nd sentence that you put in bold is utter horseshit.

It isnt a quote made by Weir, at least not according to the article. And when you read what Weir IS quoted as saying after that he neither confirms nor denies that they purposely sat in. He just says it is a difficult one and that it didnt work out for the team last night.

Still don't see where he went berserk, why would he they are his tactics. On reflection, has Smith lost the dressing room, do players decide their own tactics on the park and disregard the managers instructions.

Edited by puk

Still don't see where he went berserk, why would he they are his tactics. On reflection, has Smith lost the dressing room, do players decide their own tactics on the park and disregard the managers instructions.

Actually you make a good point.

Much like my previous post about Weir not saying they purposely sat in.... all that Weiss said was that Smith wasnt happy - that doesnt equate to "going berserk".

WS and AM were seen in the last OF game trying to coerce the players to get further forward and it didnt happen - so YES players can decide their own tactics (or simply struggle to do as being told due to the other team - you cant always do what you want to do, right ?).

Our problem is that we have so few options if players arent playing according to the plan or simply not playing well.

If I may suggest history shows that playing deep with 10 men behind the ball is a deliberate managerial trait, I hesitate to call it a tactic as that sort of stuff will get football banned.