Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that this league still has a long way to go. As always, any defeat should be taken in context and not used to write off title challenges or make other teams look better than they actually are. However...

Yesterday was a total disgrace from our players and the manager should not escape criticism either. Ironically, I doubt many of us would have disagreed with the starting XI - even if a few of the players have been under-performing generally this season. Sure, a 4-5-1 may look immediately defensive but we still had the offensive players to make it work effectively. For whatever reason most of the team simply downed tools - and not for the first time this season.

Indeed, that is the most worrying aspect of yesterday's defeat. Like at the end of the Advocaat reign and during the final months of the McLeish era, our team look devoid of ideas, lack inspiration and are utterly vacant in their commitment. To make matters worse the management team seem incapable of motivating them or reversing our backward spiral. When one considers our next manager is partly responsible for this negative trend, it is safe to say that worry soon turns to fear.

The malaise and uncertainty running through Rangers Football Club is nothing new. Our financial issues are debated daily and the last decade has been one of short term outlooks with little long term security. We have an owner who runs off to France when the going gets tough, directors who are too busy defending themselves to defend the club, players whose only loyalty is to the coin and fans who'd rather argue with each other than get together to lobby for solutions.

Nevertheless, obviously one defeat to Celtic isn't the end of the world. Win our games in hand and we're only two points behind. Beat them at Ibrox in the next SPL game and we could very well be in front again. Certainly, what happens on the park is directly related to how we perform off it. And arguably that's why caution appears to be the mainstay of our tactical outlook. How can any team play with abandon when they know their manager is leaving, they know the club owner couldn't care less and they know they'll only be offered a pay-cut despite any potential success?

However, that doesn't explain our inability to do the basics right and work hard for your team-mates. The way the Celtic team hunted in packs and were physically stronger than every one of our players made me more than angry sitting watching the game. Yet, our players just bent over for more while our manager refused to make any changes that may have helped us influence the game a bit more.

Let me be clear again. Walter Smith has done a fantastic job in both his tenures at the club. To win 9IAR was incredible but to come back and keep us competitive for four seasons, winning two titles and coming close to more - as well as taking us to the UEFA Cup final - compares just as well. For those successes he'll have my eternal thanks.

Unfortunately, he can't escape criticism either. Being loyal to players is an admirable trait. Being stubborn tactically has yielded results I didn't think were possible in some games. But sometimes he can take these virtues too far which quickly turns positives into negatives. Quite simply there are a few players in this team that have not performed this season - outwith the odd game. Key personnel like Whittaker, Bougherra, Davis and Edu to name a small selection were again awful yesterday - awful; yet all completed the match and it is unlikely any of them will be dropped for the future. Persevering with guys so obviously short of confidence isn't being loyal - it is merely making things worse.

Of course naming a few players arguably isn't fair. These guys aren't the only ones who appear to lack the quality and belief required to retain the title. Bad passing, poor shooting, dreadful set-pieces and unacceptable attitudes are prevalent throughout the side. Every player needs to ask themselves if their contribution is worthy of the huge salaries they earn.

Lamentably, as seen yesterday I just think the problems are now too numerous for us to be considered capable of winning the league this year. That's not defeatism but simply being realistic when looking at the evidence. I honestly don't see how players so obviously low in morale and lacking in character can turn this around. The next few months will be the biggest test of Smith's managerial career and will determine his legacy for many. Can he respond?

Finally, there's no shame in losing. Whether it be the game yesterday, or the title this season, sometimes being second best happens. However, what is important, and what is absolutely vital for our club's future, is the way we react it it. We can feel sorry for ourselves and turn an Old Firm loss into a meek title concession. Or we can finally show some pride and use the hurt from yesterday to give us the spark required to get back into this title race.

Rather than raise the white flag of surrender, we need to regroup, "to fight and gain the victory". The future is now.

The malaise and uncertainty running through Rangers Football Club is nothing new. Our financial issues are debated daily and the last decade has been one of short term outlooks with little long term security. We have an owner who runs off to France when the going gets tough, directors who are too busy defending themselves to defend the club, players whose only loyalty is to the coin and fans who'd rather argue with each other than get together to lobby for solutions.

This paragraph would make an accurate definition of Rangers in the 21st century.

This paragraph would make an accurate definition of Rangers in the 21st century.

Aye, it's this that is hurting more than any Old Firm defeat.

FFS, Celtic players were laughing in our faces yesterday and we didn't do a thing. You'd think that would spur a few people on but going by yesterday we'll just bend over even further.

The simple fact is our club is leaderless and rudderless. There doesn't seem to be anyone willing to say enough is enough.

Aye, it's this that is hurting more than any Old Firm defeat.

FFS, Celtic players were laughing in our faces yesterday and we didn't do a thing. You'd think that would spur a few people on but going by yesterday we'll just bend over even further.

The simple fact is our club is leaderless and rudderless. There doesn't seem to be anyone willing to say enough is enough.

Defeat in sport is pretty much guaranteed. However, when opposing players laugh at you and in Brown's case, give a sarcastic clap towards Diouf for reacting to one of the ref's decisions is completely unacceptable.

Your opening statement is true, but when the second went in yesterday I said the league was over. I cannot see Walter motivating the players for one last push on the league or any trophy for that matter. I actually think Walter's losing his marbles.

The biggest kick in the baws just might be around the corner: League Cup final and Scottish Cup replay. [insert facepalm]

Yip, I don't feel confident enough in the players or manager to turn this around. Meanwhile, Celtic are on a high and don't look like dropping points.

This makes our reaction all the more important - not just to fight for the title but to plan for not winning it. The buck then goes to those above the manager given season ticket sales are almost upon us.

Something has to give - be it a takeover or the existing owner coming out of hiding. The status quo simply cannot go on.

Going by recent history, we'll be spoon fed takeover guff. That's how the club likes to roll.

Of course and that's where the support need to start asking serious questions.

The Assembly need to take the lead now on this by actively lobbying the club for clear answers on our future with the understanding that if no debate takes place they'll be recommending to their members to refuse season ticket renewals.

I think we're almost at the point where the only way we're going to go forward as a club, both on and off the pitch, is to make a clean start in all respects. Otherwise we're going to find ourselves in the same position in a few years time. All we've been doing over the last 5 years or so is papering over the cracks by having a successful team winning trophies.

The same problems we've seen on and off the pitch for that time period are still there. There's a lot of knee jerk reactions after defeats such as yesterday, but I bet if you look back at the Gersnet forums over that time, while we've been grateful for the titles, we've always noted an air of caution because everything has clearly not been right.

The time for action was probably a few years ago, but if the various supporters groups can't unite now then there really is no hope and we might as well just give the ball back and head home.

I think we're almost at the point where the only way we're going to go forward as a club, both on and off the pitch, is to make a clean start in all respects. Otherwise we're going to find ourselves in the same position in a few years time. All we've been doing over the last 5 years or so is papering over the cracks by having a successful team winning trophies.

The same problems we've seen on and off the pitch for that time period are still there. There's a lot of knee jerk reactions after defeats such as yesterday, but I bet if you look back at the Gersnet forums over that time, while we've been grateful for the titles, we've always noted an air of caution because everything has clearly not been right.

The time for action was probably a few years ago, but if the various supporters groups can't unite now then there really is no hope and we might as well just give the ball back and head home.

A fine post mate - in a nutshell!