I have it on very good authority that it most certainly was racist abuse, both at Ibrox and the piggery, and that it was not only Lennon but Mjallby as well.

Racism is not something to try to score points over, but is sickens me that we are letting down our players who have been the subject of racist abuse from these scumbags by not bringing this into the open, thinking instead that it will just make things worse, which is of course true, but not worse for us.

If we protected our players properly, not only would we be doing the right thing, but we would ensure the racists involved got the correct punishment, the sack, and where would that leave their "open to all" policy. Indeed, what do their own black players think of being coached by racists?

If only Bartley and possibly Boogie would come out and say what shocked them so much. Looking at Bartley's face Mjallby certainly wasn't wishing him all the best.

So EHD should be dismissed from the club after one game when he received severe and probably racist abuse, who gets constantly provoked and receives little protection from the refs. I guess you have some support for your views from Lennon and Nicholas, but I haven't seen anything from EHD that deserves anything like this. It's an extreme exageration of his behaviour that has intil now been limited to the tabloid press and Celtic fans. Let's not jump on the bandwagon when we should be supporting him as one of our players.

#1 I am embarassed that Rangers as a Club are so impoverished that we have to make excuses to sign a player (even on loan) who whose recent actions (allegedly making a racist comment to white ball boy during Blackburn's match with Everton in 2009 and allegedly abusing QPR player James Mackie as he lay on the ground with a broken leg earlier this year) never mind his history of spitting render him unemployable in England and probably most other countries in Europe.

#2 His actions on Wednesday - interfering with a trainer on his way to treat an injured player; running over to the touch line and making whatever comments to the Celtic management team when the game was stopped; directing what I will politely call dissent at the referee so as to get a second yellow card and hence being ordered off at the end of the match; having been ordered off, effectively refusing to leave the pitch; defying stewards and a high ranking police officer for which he could easily have been arrested whether it was an act of defiance or not; all of which behaviour is totally unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

It matters not one jot to me that Lennon has been guilty of similar and indeed worse offences; what concerns me is the actions of players in royal blue jerseys.

Unlike some who sit around me in the stand (present company excepted!), I will always support any player in a Rangers jersey, but Diouf should not have that privilege and I won't support his actions.

If he was abused on the pitch and the referee heard it and took no action then Rangers should report the referee and if he was abused in the tunnel or otherwise off the pitch then Rangers should report or should have reported the circumstances to the SFA for investigation. But I do not believe that any of his actions were caused by any such abuse (which was his excuse for abusing the Everton ball boy) nor would I condone any such action if it was claimed to be as a result of such abuse.

Thank you and Craig for pointing out that there is no appeal against yellow cards; of course as a referee of the old school, I hold that there is no such thing as a "second yellow", since the only available punishment for persisting in misconduct after receiving a caution (first yellow) is to be ordered off! In my day you were not even allowed to speak to a player after cautioning him, lest the supervisor would say "what were you talking to him about"? Nowadays you are deemed to have received a second yellow card, so I take your point. And Smith has effectively stated Rangers views on the "offences" which is probably as far (and perhaps too far, time will tell) as they can go.

Incidentally Andrew Waddell (who made somewhat greater progress as a referee than I) and I were the first two referees in Scotland, and quite possibly the world to trial the use of red and yellow cards on the red blaze pitches at Cardonald around 1970. When he told he about using them I thought I had to physically give the player the yellow card so didn't quite understand why I only got one!