Breaking news on SSN: Whyte to buy RFC next week

No offence intended BH but I'm not sure it's useful or strictly ethical to promote news like this if the underlying intention is to use it to suggest an increasing likelihood of a deal being concluded. There is no basis for correlating a rumour of Ellis traveling to Glasgow and a sale of Murray's shares. Rangers fans have had nothing but years of tripe and false dawns, presented by every Walter Mitty courting self-importance - and that includes so-called supporter organizations of which you have previously been part. It's increasingly difficult therefore to accept more of the same.

I've no problem with news being presented by anyone who has it. It's the inference or direct connection being drawn between that news and a prospective outcome that seems both unhelpful and misleading. I think we need to be more circumspect in what has unfortunately become a hugely frustrating issue for all of us. We shouldn't accept irresponsible manipulation by the media in order to sell newspapers and, equally, we shouldn't draw conclusions without evidence and then present it to fans who have already been treated with disrespect for way too long.

I know before posting this that it wasn't your intention to mislead and I hope you will accept these views in the helpful spirit they are offered.

Commenttng on his Twitter account today, Lamont said the following to raity the story, "Story broken on Rangers fans' messageboard I've since had confirmed. Craig Whyte met Walter Smith and Martin Bain yesterday."

What was the point in him meeting Walter Smith when Walter wont be around when/if Whyte starts to open the purse strings ?

The rumour, informed opinion if there can be such a thing in this mess , is that he wants Smith to stay in some capacity , whether that be Director of Football or Chairman who knows

What was the point in him meeting Walter Smith when Walter wont be around when/if Whyte starts to open the purse strings ?

I would imagine it is normal to meet the person in charge at the time of the takeover and opening the purse strings has nothing to do with it. It would surely not be normal to ignore Walter until he leaves. Am I misunderstanding your post Craig?

I would imagine it is normal to meet the person in charge at the time of the takeover and opening the purse strings has nothing to do with it. It would surely not be normal to ignore Walter until he leaves. Am I misunderstanding your post Craig?

Nah, you understand the post pete.

I guess I should have expanded upon my point. When the business end of Whyte's tenure starts WS will not be making the big decisions. If he did indeed meet with Smith & Bain why was McCoist not also involved given it will be him who will be looking to strengthen this squad ?

WS will not be undertaking any of the buying/selling of players but McCoist will - so any meeting, IMO, that doesnt involve McCoist hardly starts things off the right way.

McCoist needs to be involved as he should have a working relationship with the new owner, given that new owner will be funding his squad dealings.

[/b]

A very very frighting prospect.

Why ? You obviously have an anti-WS bias - but if you dont know what this "Director of Football" position would entail how can it be frightening ? As for the Chairman position it so very often is a figurehead of a position. IF that is the case then WS brings the dignity and respect (respect from football people, not necessarily our own supporters) that would make him a very good candidate for such a position.

IF the Chairman's position is going to be a more involved one with true guidance needed then he may, or may not, be the right person. I dont know his academic or business credentials so cant comment, but he certainly comes across as an intelligent individual.

No offence intended BH but I'm not sure it's useful or strictly ethical to promote news like this if the underlying intention is to use it to suggest an increasing likelihood of a deal being concluded. There is no basis for correlating a rumour of Ellis traveling to Glasgow and a sale of Murray's shares. Rangers fans have had nothing but years of tripe and false dawns, presented by every Walter Mitty courting self-importance - and that includes so-called supporter organizations of which you have previously been part. It's increasingly difficult therefore to accept more of the same.

I've no problem with news being presented by anyone who has it. It's the inference or direct connection being drawn between that news and a prospective outcome that seems both unhelpful and misleading. I think we need to be more circumspect in what has unfortunately become a hugely frustrating issue for all of us. We shouldn't accept irresponsible manipulation by the media in order to sell newspapers and, equally, we shouldn't draw conclusions without evidence and then present it to fans who have already been treated with disrespect for way too long.

I know before posting this that it wasn't your intention to mislead and I hope you will accept these views in the helpful spirit they are offered.

I am certainly happy to accept your comments in the spirit they are offered and perhaps I led the comment the wrong way.

However, this was not newspaper talk, it came to me from a friend who has a direct contact with someone who had spoken to Ellis the previous night and was simply another way of comfirming the truth of the main story. The same source told me when Ellis was house hunting here at the time of his own failed bid last year.

I accept that saying that he will be here and saying that a deal is about to be signed are not the same thing but it was informed comment not speculation and as you say there was in intenion to mislead. I am sorry if you took it any other way. I always try to deal in facts, those who know me will affirm that.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typos