Press Release from meeting of Rangers Supporters Clubs

I feel we�ve missed a lot of pertinent stuff out of this meeting. All that�s happened is an admission of guilt of all charges and a promise to be good from now on.

The problem I have is that while we are guilty of some of the charges, there are plenty where while there is mischief, there is no breaking of the law beyond twisted interpretation from those who are serially offended by anything that does not pander to them. The fact is most of the ââ?¬Å?sectarian problemââ?¬Â accused at Rangers fans does not even exist in reality and only in the fantasy mind of a group of people with an agenda against us.

You only have to look at the furore over flying union flags at Ibrox and then unbelievably in the workplace when only to celebrate the royal wedding, to see that most charges against us are plain ridiculous.

The police, the courts and the politicians have been totally duped by our enemies despite these ludicrous examples into believing words like ââ?¬Å?fen1anââ?¬Â and songs like (the so called) ââ?¬Å?Famine Songââ?¬Â are sectarian when they are nothing of the sort, while ironically the accusers themselves are liberally using sectarian words like ââ?¬Å?hunââ?¬Â to describe us with impunity and openly singing songs with obvious sectarian meaning.

Even the word, ââ?¬Å?whatabouteryââ?¬Â has become a totem for putting only us in the dock and ignoring any natural justice which no doubt only fans the flames of a small problem to create a huge one, and sets up an apartheid judiciary system in a misguided and contrived attempt to deal with discrimination! As is often quoted, ââ?¬Å?you couldnââ?¬â?¢t make it upââ?¬Â.

We should be saying something like:

ââ?¬Å?Yes, we are guilty of songs and chants against the Pope ââ?¬â?? this is wrong and we will stop.

ââ?¬Å?No, we are not guilty of any sectarianism whatsoever when it comes to the F word and the F song, and they have been wrongly and ignorantly deemed illegal. However, we agree they are mildly mischievous and we also obey the law and so will stop.

ââ?¬Å?BUT, in return we want to see equal justice applied to ALL discriminatory chanting at ALL clubs as well as condemnation of mischief making when people are continually making false accusations in an attempt to increase hatred in our society. This includes those inciting hatred using the media with lies, twisted propaganda and deliberate misinterpretations as well as biased, unequal reporting.ââ?¬Â

The problem is that no-one is saying this stuff in public - except perhaps for David Leggat.

You will never stop a feud by only disarming one side.

Was the Press Release mentioned anywhere this morning, Radio,Television, other Newspapers apart from the Scotsman??

It's been on a range of places I believe - the BBC, Real Radio etc... :)

Calscot, you don't always want your enemies to know what your plans are.

Sorry. I don't have a clue what happened at the meeting bar the press release, and to me it sounded a bit like one of those from the club where they don't always demonstrate an understanding of the situation.

My biggest frustration is that our side of the story is almost never told and then everyone else jumps on the incredibly selective, overly PC bandwagon to condemn us without trial or even thought on on the subject.

Sorry. I don't have a clue what happened at the meeting bar the press release, and to me it sounded a bit like one of those from the club where they don't always demonstrate an understanding of the situation.

My biggest frustration is that our side of the story is almost never told and then everyone else jumps on the incredibly selective, overly PC bandwagon to condemn us without trial or even thought on on the subject.

That feeling was shared by most (if not all) at the meeting. Hopefully steps will be taken to address that but obviously these steps are not the kind of thing that is suitable for a press release, particualarly at this stage.

Graham Speirs I believe.

Celtic have privately urged Uefa to intervene in the sectarianism debate in Scottish football, with the hope of making the SFA and Scottish Premier League more forceful in tackling the problem.

In private correspondence between Celtic and the SFA, Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, has also insisted that his club does not have a sectarianism problem, in a clear effort by Lawwell to distance Celtic from the current difficulties being faced by Rangers.

Celtic have even suggested that Michel Platini, the president of Uefa, should become more proactive in a debate that is haunting the Scottish game, and which has led to Uefa taking yet further sanctions against Rangers for sectarian chanting.

It is believed Lawwell has been irked by recent references to the “Old Firm problem” when, in fact, the chief executive believes that Celtic as a club has little case to answer on the subject.

Lawwell’s recent move came in correspondence between himself and Stewart Regan, the SFA chief executive. Significantly, Lawwell also forwarded his letter to Platini, inviting a greater participation by the Uefa president. Platini’s department has since replied to Celtic’s overtures.

Some will view Celtic’s positioning on the subject as raising the stakes in the current Old Firm debate, especially in light of Rangers’ recent troubles. The Ibrox club is likely to announce this week that it will not appeal the recent punishment handed down by Uefa — a Ã?£72,000 fine and a ban on away supporters in Europe — following reports of bigoted chanting.

If this is the case our club "leaders" need to start growing a spine and calling Celtic out for their chanting. They can claim they are not sectarian but their fans most certainly have very offensive chanting at games.