Bartley for �£1.5m?

I get excited if the press people or board'ers tell us that he or someone else is at Murray Park / Ibrox. Or we do indeed get some quotes from our people. Thus far, it is all nice to talk about fees and how much we want him (or someone else), but it takes much more than that.

But Zappa he did go back to Sheffield Utd after his first loan spell. He also got out at the correct time, 3 different managers in a season isn't exactly great. Not sure if he saw all 3 managers during his time there this season.

But Zappa he did go back to Sheffield Utd after his first loan spell.

Yeah, I know he went back. I just meant that I don't read too much into him having said that he would happily come back here on loan. I don't see him as a player who's fallen head over heals in love with Rangers, just a player who wants to play first team football somewhere. I'd also point out that Bartley isn't really a product of the Arsenal youth system because they didn't sign him until he was about 16 or something. I sound as if I'm being negative, but I'm just pointing out a few things that lead me to question his transfer market value. Maybe it's just that I'm thinking about what the transfer budget might be and how many players we could do with bringing in for the 1st team, but to me �£1.5m for a 20 yr old defender is quite a lot of money and �£2m is just bonkers unless we've got �£10m to spend this summer. I've got serious doubts that we'll have anywhere near �£10m to spend though....

I don't believe this rumour btw because there's absolutely nothing about this on the Arsenal newswires or in any Arsenal transfer rumours and I don't mean just today, I mean AT ALL.

I think he's a very good player and I'd like us to sign him, but if we paid �£1.5m I would consider it as pushing the boat out because Arsenal release players of Bartley's quality every year. Arsenal have almost 50 (yes, 50!!) players in their reserve squad which is where Bartley is now and only a very small percentage break through to get regular games for the 1st team. At the end of the day I wouldn't complain if we spent some cash on Bartley, not at all. We need a good centre half and Bartley fits the bill, but I can't help thinking that the guy just wants to play football and doesn't care where it is. I don't read much into him saying he'd like to come back to us on loan because he said exactly the same thing after his first loan spell with the blades. The guy just wants to play football rather than rot in the reserves at Arsenal and I wonder where he'd choose to play his football if he was a free agent. Would he come back up to Glasgow? Maybe, maybe not....

I'd be entitled to agree with you about where Bartley would want to play if he was a free agent. However, he's already been at us, he's now a bluenose and i reckon he'd jump at the chance to come and play for us full time because he now knows that despite us being in a rank rotten league, being a Ger means so much more. To me he looked right at home and happy in his game.

I hope we sign him,would make a great addition.

To me he looked right at home and happy in his game. I hope we sign him,would make a great addition.

Can't argue with that!

Just out of interest, what sort of wages do you guys think a 20 year old defender like Bartley in the Arsenal reserves would be getting paid down there?

Can't argue with that!

Just out of interest, what sort of wages do you guys think a 20 year old defender like Bartley in the Arsenal reserves would be getting paid down there?

Interesting question but in this case i don't think it really matters. Rangers will know exactly what he gets and will offer him better wages plus first team football along with regular european football and the chance to win medals every year. Bartley would be nuts to knock that back knowing what he already now knows about Rangers, the institution. From the interviews i've seen of him he seems pretty level headed and won't be too swayed by the opinion of some agent that'll try and convince him to go to Wolves for an extra 5 or 6 grand per week, fight relegation when he could be winning championships and making a name for himself considering he's still got PLENTY of football in him.

If Bartley is properly advised then he will be told to sign for us, grow into the player he could easily become and win some titles while doing so along with vital european experience. Not fighting relegation and getting pumped 3 and 4 nil most weeks.

Interesting question but in this case i don't think it really matters. Rangers will know exactly what he gets and will offer him better wages plus first team football along with regular european football and the chance to win medals every year.

I was asking about the wages because it might be in our interest to try and get him on a season long loan again with an option to buy in January or next summer even if we have to pay his full wage during the loan. It would give us the chance to monitor him for a further year including how injury prone he is. With us being on a tight budget, the longer we can have to monitor a player before signing him up on a 3 or 4 year deal, the better really. Just a thought....

If we have a shot of getting him, even if only back on loan, I'd hope we jump at it. A guy like Bartley already knows what it takes to be a Ranger, and thats worth more than �£1.5million!