Hutton And Wylde and TEAM GB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/13886352.stm

Very disappointed if this is true and they are not being prompted by journos without realising what they are saying. Team GB could spell the end of the Scotland team as pointed out by Craig Brown among others. It could also lead to Scottish clubs being excluded from the Champions League as well, if the SFA is forced to merge with the English FA. We would just as well be called England.

Guest Dutchy

I'm of the belief that this could well spell the end of the SFA. But there seems to be a lot of this not worked out properly. If we no longer were to have a national team, there would be not much need for a seperate association, so the English assosiation will effectively become the the British association and they'll then have to oragnise leagues for all.

Does that then mean there will be 8, 9, or 10 British leagues, all run by the imaginary British association. Well that's one way of getting into the ELP, provided they don't class our SPL teams as no better than the Blue Square League. We may not be allowed to gain promotion to the ELP by this route, if the new association says so.

I know, I know, a bit fanciful, but could it happen?

I don't see an issue with there being a team GB in the Olympics. The Olympics is a totally different government body and has nothing to do with FIFA/UEFA, SPL or EPL. However there should be some fair ground rules. To me the only problems i would have is there not being an equal amount of players from each nation in the squad, i.e 12 English 5 Scots 3 Welsh etc. There must be an equal amount in the squad. Even put Beckham in there as captain or something, i think all the players could respect a guy like that.

Also read about Stuart Pierce being named as a candidate for coach. No chance, the guy is English through and through and knowing the majority of them think the SPL and players from it are worthless in comparison to the mighty English it couldn't work for a GB team. So why not appoint someone like say, Terry Butcher, who's English but is more or less an adopted Scotsman. Surely that could work?

I don't see an issue with there being a team GB in the Olympics. The Olympics is a totally different government body and has nothing to do with FIFA/UEFA, SPL or EPL. However there should be some fair ground rules. To me the only problems i would have is there not being an equal amount of players from each nation in the squad, i.e 12 English 5 Scots 3 Welsh etc. There must be an equal amount in the squad. Even put Beckham in there as captain or something, i think all the players could respect a guy like that.

Also read about Stuart Pierce being named as a candidate for coach. No chance, the guy is English through and through and knowing the majority of them think the SPL and players from it are worthless in comparison to the mighty English it couldn't work for a GB team. So why not appoint someone like say, Terry Butcher, who's English but is more or less an adopted Scotsman. Surely that could work?

Agree with that Dan. No harm in a team GB for olympics only, Im all for it. But as you say it should be a squad made up evenly from the 4 nations and not necessarily the top players, give some lower league players a chance. However the conspiracy side of me see more to this and possibly putting an end to the others FA's. :smile: (but then again the SFA are a shambles anyway, would ending them be so bad?)

Agree about Pearce, he almost admits to being anti Scottish. Didnt he refuse to shake the Scotland players hands at Euro 96? He's the sort of guy which is the reason I like to see England get beat. Compare and contrast him to someone like Ray Wilkins and there is no comparison.

Id be happy with someone like Roy Hodgson who has said he fancies the job, he is professional and wouldnt show bias but he wouldnt be first pick. It could also be a chance for someone the ex-pro turned pundits like Jamie Redknapp to take it on board or get involved. But personally id opt for either George Graham or Terry Venebles to take it.

Why would we want to risk our autonomy for the most boring and pointless International football competition around?

Does anyone really care about having a team at the Olympics?

Fair point, in footballing terms i don't really think the competition itself is held in that high a regard.But has there ever been a GB team competing in a competition? Don't think so, but i think it would generate a bit of interest if done properly.

Don't understand why it would threaten autonomy, but a fair chunk of clever folk seem to think that's the case. I'm all for things, in general, that promote a cultural union - and this is one.

I'm all for a team GB at the Olympics as long as there is fair representation from all 4 nations. I cannot see why this would affect anything else.

Good example is it's team GB at the Olympics, but this has never forced a team GB at the Commonwealth.