European expectations?

Following on from the season expectations thread was just wondering what everyone thinks constitues a good European campaign for the Rangers.

Personally I think any European football, whether its in the Champions League or the Europa League, after Christmas merits a decent campaign. If we can do that as well as making the Champions League group stages I would be more than happy with that.

After the initially agonising results of preseason and the almost complete lack of new signings, I felt Europe was almost a dead rubber.

But on second thoughts, given the quality of opposition we need to negotiate to get into the group stage, we should at least manage 10 matches in the CL. ANYTHING beyond that is a bonus. I'd have had more expectations had we made more signings and we weren't going into it with a rookie manager.

Europe is more hard to judge until we are a) in the CL proper and b) know who is in our group. The minimum should be to reach the group stages for this season though. But unlike the SPL where we know our opposition and know we are good enough to win that, we are guessing in the CL as we could end up with 3 top Euro teams in which there is probably no expectation. But if drawing an average group we should be in the top 3.

Europe is more hard to judge until we are a) in the CL proper and b) know who is in our group. The minimum should be to reach the group stages for this season though. But unlike the SPL where we know our opposition and know we are good enough to win that, we are guessing in the CL as we could end up with 3 top Euro teams in which there is probably no expectation. But if drawing an average group we should be in the top 3.

Because we're going into the CL with a rookie manager, any draw will be a tough one. Ally just isn't experienced yet and may find that level of competition a bit too hard. But we'll see.

I'll be happy to get into the CL group stage. Anything beyond Christmas, I'll be delighted with, but honestly, can't see it unless we get a pretty poor team in the CL group we can do over home and away, although I suppose a lot does depend on the luck of the draw. Focus has to be on domestic issues, but financially the CL groups are crucial.

I expect us to be knocked out of the CL before the group stages. Do we need to get past Malmo to make the Europa League if we get knocked out the play off round of CL qualifiers?

I'm sure we go into the Europa League regardless of what round we get knocked out of. Lets hope it doesn't come to that though.

Guest Dutchy

I'd like to get into and qualify for the last 16 of the CL and I'm sure if we don't win against Malmo, we're out of Europe, just like the Kanus game.

Even if we do get knocked out in the qualifier, we would have to negotiate a qualifier for the Europa group stages, just like Utrecht did last year.

I expect us to be knocked out of the CL before the group stages. Do we need to get past Malmo to make the Europa League if we get knocked out the play off round of CL qualifiers?

Used to be like 3 years ago after the Kaunas disaster thats the European campaign over. Now since the new rules have come into place only a year later if you lose you have another chance in the EL. Celtic blew both chances last season

None, in a nutshell.

I'd rather we were building for the future rather than trying to run before we walk. Obviously i never want Rangers to loose any games but if we go out early then so be it.