Broadfoot may leave - not this window

Kirk Broadfoot admits his future may lie away from Rangers if first team opportunities are limited this season.

"I've been pretty unlucky with injuries over the last three seasons," said Broadfoot. "Hopefully this year I can get over that and move on.

"I need to know where I stand. I've missed enough football, I don't want to be here just covering positions.

"I want to be playing week in, week out. I've come to the age where I need to be doing that."

Broadfoot became a mainstay of the team after signing from St Mirren in 2007 but has had several lenghty lay-offs since March 2009.

And, asked if he would consider being loaned out to another club, the 26-year-old replied: "If I'm not seen as a first-team regular, yes.

Continue reading the main story

If we get Carlos Cuellar in and maybe another one, I think we'll be defensively secure and we'll hopefully get a few more bodies elsewhere

Kirk Broadfoot

"I'll see how things develop and if it looks that way then I'll have to speak to the manager.

"If it's a challenge then I'm up for the challenge and I'm ready to go.

"At the end of the day, if I'm not given that chance to prove that I'm good enough to play week in, week out then I'd have to look elsewhere."

Meanwhile, Broadfoot would be happy to see Carlos Cuellar returning for a second spell at Rangers, despite the further competition for places it would bring.

Rangers have had a bid accepted for the Spanish defender, who is now mulling over whether to rejoin the Ibrox club.

"Everyone in the squad will get used at some point and the more bodies, the better for us," added Broadfoot.

"We would love Carlos back. We all know him as a player, he's a nice person. You can see the quality he's got. If it's done, it's only good for Rangers.

"If we get Carlos in and maybe another one, I think we'll be defensively secure and we'll hopefully get a few more bodies elsewhere."

If Kirk Broadfoot thinks he should be playing every week as a first choice regular, he's dumber than someone who microwaved an egg.

He's a back-up squad player. Not more, but not less. If he thinks he should be more than that, no problem here. Not everyone has the guts of an Alexander ... and there's no reason to be angry about it. Taking up the pay-cheque for essentially "nothing" is not looked upon kindly by many people either, I would assume.

Guest Dutchy

You suspect he's had a word with Ally and he's now realised he's on his way, if we get the players we're after.

If not, it's best to keep hold of him as back up. Crickey, if we don't get the players we're targeting, he may play every week.

Had some good games in the past, but not nearly enough IMO.

Aye right Kirk, I'll crack the jokes.

You hardly featured last season and you've come out and basically said that if you don't play more you'll be looking to leave. How about showing the Rangers manager and coaching staff that you deserve a chance rather than come over all high and mighty.

Oh, and it would help if you could stay fit for more than 5 games.

Kirk was well ahead in pre-season training due to his injury problems last season, Ally saw this and gave him his chance to grab a place in the team over in the Germany warm ups. It's pretty obvious from his performances that he aint getting near a 1st pick, so it's time to move on mate.

That's a pity really, because he was generally a good squad back up when injuries kicked in.

Kirk is an awful centre half but going on his performances pre-injury id have him at RB ahead of Whittaker. But on the other hand id have Whittaker at centre half miles ahead of Broadfoot.

Kirk is an awful centre half but going on his performances pre-injury id have him at RB ahead of Whittaker. But on the other hand id have Whittaker at centre half miles ahead of Broadfoot.

Totally agree with you and think it's strange they haven't played the other way around...

Fingers crossed Ally doesn't go down the route of playing players out of position. Whittaker isn't a centre half.