Rangers 1 v 1 Hearts - The Quest for 55 begins slowly

After what seems the shortest summer break in history, competitive football in Scotland begins again this Saturday lunch-time as Champions Rangers welcome Hearts to Ibrox Stadium. After 54 League titles including the last three in a row, can Rangers continue on the success trail under new rookie manager Ally McCoist?

Despite the loss of a few players from last season's title winning squad, confidence amongst the support should be high that we can retain the title. While our progress in the transfer market has been steady rather spectacular, we do have the same core of players that have been so successful while at the club.

Of course it is somewhat disappointing that (so far anyway) links with exciting players in the media haven't actually resulted in the likes of Carlos Cuellar wearing the shiny new strip. However, the re-signing of existing players on extended contracts should not be under-estimated in value to our chances of success. After all, the likes of McGregor, Whittaker, Davis and Weir have all been hugely important in our march to 3IAR. Add in Naismith and Jelavic, then you have the kind of spine that won't accept second best. Such squad continuity is invaluable.

On the other hand, our squad is too thin. The loss of guys like Weiss, Bartley and even Foster reduces our flexibility and it won't be difficult for opposition managers to guess, then limit, our style of play. In saying that, the capture of Juanma Ortiz and the introduction of youngsters like Bendiksen and Hemmings should help to keep things fresh. I'd also hope fringe players like Fleck, Broadfoot and Healy will be reliable deputies when called upon. And there is still time for more new signings - at the right price of course!

Moving onto Saturday's SPL curtain-raiser, I think the first thing to do is acknowledge that Hearts have done what we haven't and brought in new signings quickly and efficiently. Sure, they may not be genuine top quality but the likes of Sutton, Hamill and Taouil offer a consistency and experience Hearts did miss from their foreign contingent. As ever, this won't be an easy match after the league flag is unfurled but I'm actually glad of such a tough opener though as, with Malmo in the CL 3rd Qualifying Round on Tuesday night, we need to be up and running quickly.

Indeed, because of that European banana skin, we may see a slightly less adventurous XI as to what finished the SPL campaign last term. In the last few games of season 10/11; we were superb to watch and brushed all aside in a flurry of great goals and exciting performances. I'd expect a more conservative outlook this weekend though. Let's have a look at the manager's options.

While our defence should have a familiar look for most of the start of the season, captain David Weir is suspended for our opening match. This means McCoist will need to decide between Broadfoot, Papac or Whittaker at centre-half. All of this shuffling about highlights we do need to sign another central defender but if we could persuade Bougherra to re-sign then such defensive stability would be ideal. In the mean-time we still have a strong, experienced defence so we need not overly worry about the tasks ahead.

Moving into midfield, again despite the dearth of signings we do have a variety of options given everyone appears to be fully fit. On Tuesday night in Blackpool, the new manager opted for an orthodox four though and I think we'll see the same unit start against Hearts. Some fans are worried at the inclusion of both Edu and McCulloch but these guys provide the solid platform for the likes of Davis and Ortiz to get forward effectively and it was no coincidence these guys provided both goals.

Sure, against other opposition we may only need one of those holding players but it may be more prudent to avoid unnecessary gambles early in the campaign. Not to mention the fact that Edu can get forward well when required. Also eager to be considered will be Fleck, Hutton, Bendiksen and Wylde but they may have to be content with a place on the bench.

Into attack and the injury to Kyle Lafferty is a blow - both in terms of the player's own development after an impressive end to last season and to our general options up front. However, again we do have suitable cover via Naismith, Healy and Beattie - not to mention young Kane Hemmings who has shown up well in pre-season. Obviously Nikica Jelavic is the first name on the team-sheet so it will be up to the others to show they're capable of scoring the goals to partner him.

All in all, we still have a core of players more than capable of competing strongly again for the league title. Yes, a few new players would be agreeable but I'm hoping everyone will focus on the task at hand and that's getting off to a good start in the league while progressing in Europe. With a stadium wide card display on Saturday and the newly combined 500 strong Broomloan Front singing section; the fans will be ready to back the players and Super Ally as they bid to 'Step up and Play' once more.

Possible team (4-4-2):

:am:

:sw: :mb: :kb: :sp:

:sd: :me: :lm: :jmo:

:nj: :sn:

Here's to 55! :spl:

Broadfoot at centre back is my only worry but he did quite well against Blackpool but some of his tackles were a little last ditch. Obviously Edu is going to be slightly knackered and not exactly fully fit so I can see him lasting about 60 mins and somebody like Hutton or Wylde will come on.

Broadfoot to the left back and move Sasa in one for this game Broadfoot scares me at centre half never felt comfortable with him their since he let McDonald turn him and score a few seasons back.

If we do sign Wallace that might change line up again

Guest Dutchy

Wallace could certainly come in and change that back four, the attack looks like I'd expect it also, but I'd have Wylde on in place of Edu. They'll probably swap the 2 of them about with subs.