Admin jointly absorb the costs mate.

Because we don't have a huge amount of traffic (compared to say FF or RM) we don't want to annoy our users with adverts or pressure them for donations.

:)

When there is more users does it cost more? Or is it to do with bandwidth you need to have available which would be more expensive.

I didnt know admin shared the costs, I thought there would be a one off fee per year or the likes which Craig generously took care off last time I remembered.

Ive been on this site for 7 years, would gladly make a contribution if costs start to go on the rise.

The software costs money which Craig generously donates. The hosting costs money which bmck generously donates. Domain names cost money which I donate. All admin/mods also put in their time and advice which is even more invaluable.

The more visitors and site hits we have (which is always gradually increasing) the more the hosting may cost but, as it stands, we're comfortable enough because of helpful external factors.

If people wanted to donate as well then of course that would be extremely helpful but we'd rather keep everything 'free' because we don't run this site for profit and if there is downtime that gives us an excuse... ;)

This forum has the correct attitude tbh. A forum should be paid for by the staff and the staff alone. I hated RM when they started going cap in hand to the members, which imho is unnacceptable for a forum to do. And I was admin at the time and happy to contribute, but it left a sour taste when they became obsessed with donations from non-staff.

This forum has the correct attitude tbh. A forum should be paid for by the staff and the staff alone. I hated RM when they started going cap in hand to the members, which imho is unnacceptable for a forum to do. And I was admin at the time and happy to contribute, but it left a sour taste when they became obsessed with donations from non-staff.

I think it's easy enough to say that with a smaller community but RM has significant costs so I don't blame them for looking to recoup a portion of that via those that are able to help. Usually they do this via competitions which is a reasonable way of raising cash but still giving something back if possible.

No-one is ever forced to pay and no-one makes a profit. That's the important thing.

I think it's easy enough to say that with a smaller community but RM has significant costs so I don't blame them for looking to recoup a portion of that via those that are able to help. Usually they do this via competitions which is a reasonable way of raising cash but still giving something back if possible.

No-one is ever forced to pay and no-one makes a profit. That's the important thing.

They started asking for donations before they ever became a premium hosted site iirc. I didn't like it and made my feelings pretty clear at the time.

I still say no matter what, those who are in a position of responsibility are also those who should foot the bill for the site, whatever site it is, and I don't like members being asked to donate.

Do FF ask members to donate in any way?

Don't think it really matters if sites ask for donations or not - don't really understand the consternation. We're in a happy position not to need or want, but there have been other sites I've enjoyed using the service they provided, and they didn't make any money, and I was happy to donate. Each to their own - it's not a cheap business.