Why You Should Have Faith In Our Manager

Guest BrickHands

I think the biggest problem with the transfers, is the amount of mis-information, or just plain wrong information!!!

Does anyone (other than the clubs involved) know FOR A FACT, how many official bids were made for Goodwillie??? Some reports say 4, others say 1 or 2.....

There is so much speculation within the press/media, it is VERY difficult to actually know whats happening until its officially announced.

Not fussed if we get Goodwillie or not, but I cannot understand why our club should be criticized over the way our transfers have been handled to date

Goodwillie is not the next Messi, in fact a better comparison would be the next Naismith, and the original Naismith is still doing just fine at the moment.

With that said, I don't understand why our owner is being lambasted for failing to move for this guy when he was under threat of jail time for rape until a couple of weeks ago and then when the charges were cleared there has been a bidding war with Blackburn that we have refused to buckle to.

We should pay what we think a player is worth and less if we can get away with it. Just because united have a valuation of the player doesn't mean we should empty our pockets and meet the price. This has been going on since Drunken Ferguson days, Jim McLean desperately tried to fleece us for him too at that time. If Blackburn value him higher than we do then so be it, its not like a EPL club would pay over the odds for a player now is it???

If he goes to Blackburn, best of luck to him, it will make not a jot of difference to us. If he decides (and I see no reason why he should) to turn them down in favour of a move to us then great, it gives us more options. I for one am delighted to see a new approach to transfers where we are not prepared to spunk our cash on people we do not feel are good value for money and that goes for the other players mentioned in this thread.

We look to have done well with Wallace and Goain, we have Bedoya coming in a few months (and I applaud our clubs refusal to pay over the odds for him early too) and we have tied up some of our key players on long term deals. We still have a month to go in the transfer window and I have to admit that I am feeling pretty positive about it so far...

Edited by Bakbear

Losing out on Goodwillie is particularly dissapointing. Ally must be feeling it big time as he made it clear he was a big fan even before he took over. Having said that he is the first in this long line of missed targets that I'm actually bothered about. I'm happy with Goian and Wallace looks a player. Ortiz looks like a good squad player, good technique, he could become more. Maybe as a full-back?. It's all been a little too quiet on the Cuellar front which makes me think, like many, that he's coming when he's fit and picking up the bucks in the meantime. I also suspect Ally is looking into the CM position given that Vaughan/Danns were targets and we haven't had a single player linked in that position since.

Patient and optimistic loyal.

Regards the OP, it doesn't actually explain why we should have faith in Ally, it's just asking us to have it. It's one person's perfectly valid opinion that Ally's credentials are that he learned from Walter, will make his own errors to start with, and then will be a magnificent manager.

I'd call that conjecture.

He could go the way of Lennon, a sticky start before becoming, let's be honest, a very good manager who made some decent signings. Hence Celtic are favourite this term.

Or he could go the way of Mowbray and PLG - a poor start which only got worse.

Time will tell.

There is no evidence to prove either case, we can do nothing else besides support him and hope he gets it right.

Regards the OP, it doesn't actually explain why we should have faith in Ally, it's just asking us to have it. It's one person's perfectly valid opinion that Ally's credentials are that he learned from Walter, will make his own errors to start with, and then will be a magnificent manager.

He could go the way of Lennon, a sticky start before becoming, let's be honest, a very good manager who made some decent signings. Hence Celtic are favourite this term.

Or he could go the way of Mowbray and PLG - a poor start which only got worse.

Time will tell.

There is no evidence to prove either case, we can do nothing else besides support him and hope he gets it right.

There is the point though, that ANY manager requires a bit of "suck it and see", there are no guarantees and it's pretty difficult to predict when a manager will be a success - even if he's been pretty good elsewhere (PLG, Alardyce, Adriaanse, Van Gaal), or even if he's been fantastic for quite a while at your club (McLean, Clough).

That being the case there is not much point being overcritical at the start of a manager's tenure. Unless results are pretty disastrous with no mitigation and no obvious sign that they could improve, a new manager deserves some time before suffering a deluge of criticism. The call to get behind him is a wise one as most people in all professions, but especially football, respond far better to positive support than constant criticism - and so does the team.

There seems to be a modern day trend for people to constantly attempt to predict failure at the earliest opportunity and to me that's happening here. People like to portray themselves as the cleverest and most knowledgeable and take huge credit when they are right. In the more often case when they are wrong, they become incredibly quiet and brush it under the carpet. Hence the complete lack of humility from these people after uncompromising predictions of Bougherra leaving in every transfer window for the past two years, or sure-fire predictions of winning nothing for the past four years, or of administration, or of no takeover happening, or of no money being spent in this transfer window or others etc, etc, etc.

The laughable part from these doom-mongers who get it so wrong, time and again, is they say they are the realistic ones...

For me, I think it's better to be positive then disappointed, than uncompromisingly negative and proven right, and the rewards for the opposite scenario, are so much greater - how can someone celebrate the double when they have said, "I've given up on this season, we will win nothing!"

In the end it's not even about being positive, it's about being objective, fare and reasonable - that's something that never seems to describe the perpetual whingers.

Guest BrickHands

Point taken, 'You should have faith in our manager' would perhaps have been a better choice then.

Good read Darche!

I know I'll maybe be in the minority here, but I'll give Coisty more than just one season to get this Rangers squad sorted. We might be 3IAR champions, but Ally has been left with some major rebuilding to do.

Nail on the head there dude. I penned this tonight, the first couple of paragraphs are of similar sentiment to the op:

The gun is cocked, distance worked out, the little infrared light is acutely aimed at Ally McCoist and the itchy trigger finger is ready to pull back and fire ââ?¬Å?Superââ?¬Â out of office. Ridiculous, isnââ?¬â?¢t it?

Well, that�s the expectation of managing Rangers, Scotland�s greatest and most successful club. I am certainly not playing down the disastrous consequences of not reaching the group stages of the Champions League. However, given Ally�s contribution to Rangers over his career I would have expected him to be given some sort of grace!

Donâ��t get me wrong, he has made some baffling decisions in his short managerial time, some of them borderline criminal, but letâ��s all get behind the man that has helped make us world record holders for domestic titles. I will, and if that makes me na�¯ve, then so be it.

We�re probably going into this game as the underdogs because of our poor performance at Ibrox and gilt-edged missed chances. Yes, despite our inept performance, we had the opportunities to put this tie to bed.

With the slightly more accomplished performance away to St Johnstone on Saturday and with Jelavic getting off the mark for the season, we should go into the game with a more ââ?¬Ë?can do attitudeââ?¬â?¢.

Our opponents looked comfortable on the ball at Ibrox and they will not be taken lightly, however, If we go for it from the start, score early, then I believe we�ll be another step closer to the riches of The Champions league.

Because of certain parties we won�t have any travelling bears to make an atmosphere and perhaps that�ll make it easier for the team as they get into a rhythm that seems to have disappeared from least season�s title run in.

Our players must go in with the right attitude; the manager must pick the right players in the right positions. Sometimes it really is that simple.

My team if our new signing is eligble:

Guest Dutchy

I don't think Ally's had his problems to seek, they've been there since the beginning of the season. The early start to the season has put normal transfer activiey into turmoil and we don't look that well prepared, losing to Malmo and dropping points at home to Hearts - who were beaten at home on Saturday.

When this happens, you look to the manager and when we look and listen to the manager we find it is not Walter Smith, it is his understudy and he comes over in a completely diffirent way, because he's a completely diffirent person I suspect.

I say give Ally a breather and he'll come good. They say strikers don't make the best managers, but Alex Ferguson was a striker, mabye not as good a one as Ally, but he's stood the theory on it's head. Ally just needs to win the SPL every year and get some Euro cash. If he did that I'd be all for him.

In fact, I'm all with him at the moment, we're improving slightly and what a boost if he could make history and turn a Euorpean home defeat into victory against Malmo?