Goian: available for Malmo

UEFA need to decide what they are trying to achieve with their rules, or whether they are just there for purely bureaucratic reasons.

In what way have Rangers not complied? What have they done that is against the spirit of the game?

Seems to me that it's the kind of technicality that doesn't break the spirit of the rules and therefore is why they have the appeals process in the first place. Rules are supposed to be there to thwart the guilty, not the innocent.

RANGERS have launched a second appeal with Uefa in a desperate attempt to include Dorin Goian in their side for tonight's crucial Champions League third qualifying round, second leg fixture against Malmo.

The 30-year-old Romanian international defender signed for Rangers from Palermo last Monday but was unable to play in the first leg against Malmo at Ibrox the following night as his work permit application had not been fully processed by the UK Border Agency.

But Rangers believe that Goian, who made his debut in their 2-0 SPL win at St Johnstone on Saturday, should be eligible for this evening's return against the Swedish champions as they registered him in their squad with Uefa ahead of last Monday's 11pm deadline. Uefa yesterday rejected Rangers' initial appeal, insisting that Goian is ineligible as all of the relevant paperwork had not been completed before the deadline. Rangers, who claim they have the support of both the SPL and the SFA, decided to make a second appeal which will be considered by Uefa this morning.

"We feel there is no reason why Dorin shouldn't play in the second leg," said Rangers manager Ally McCoist. "He was registered in time.

"The only thing that wasn't through was a piece of documentation regarding the permit but we feel everything is in order and we feel he can play.

"We obviously want to find out as quickly as possible. From my point of view I would like to have had the answer yesterday."

If Goian is ruled out, McCoist will have to reshuffle his defence for a match which sees Rangers attempting to overturn the 1-0 defeat they sustained at Ibrox.

"We have a few boys who can come in there, so we do have options," added McCoist. "We are probably a bit fortunate to have so many players who have experience of playing in that position, whether it's Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Whittaker or Sasa Papac."

Madjid Bougherra is a certain starter at the heart of the Rangers defence in what will almost certainly be the Algerian international's last game for the club. He is expected to complete a �£3 million move to Qatari champions Lekhiwaya later this week.

"I've got no worries about Madjid's mind being fully on the game," said McCoist. "He has been at Rangers long enough now to be totally focused. I can't say if it's his last game for us or not but I promise I'll talk more after the game about that."

McCoist's efforts to add more players to his squad looked set to encounter further frustration last night, meanwhile, with Dundee United striker David Goodwillie on the verge of completing his drawn-out �£2.8 million move to Blackburn Rovers subject to a final medical today.

Rangers have seen a raft of bids for Goodwillie turned down by United chairman Stephen Thompson, who again insisted last night that the offer made by Blackburn was financially superior to anything tabled by the Ibrox club. Thompson said: "Rangers' bid was not acceptable. The overall deal was not as much as was on offer from Blackburn Rovers."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Rangers-try-again-to-have.6812062.jp

Meanwhile, Steven Davis – who has been wearing the Rangers captain's armband in the absence of injured skipper David Weir – is confident Rangers can build on their weekend win against St Johnstone with a victory this evening.

He said: "It was important to get a good result as soon as possible and we managed to do that on Saturday. It was our best performance so far and hopefully we can have another good performance and get the right result on Wednesday."

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor came to the rescue with several impressive saves to deny Malmo a bigger advantage ahead of the second leg but Davis insists belief is strong in the Rangers dressing-room.

He said: "We have played better but we created a number of opportunities in the second half. We just have to be wary because they have players who can hurt you going forward.

"We have to approach the game in the right manner but I'm confident we can progress.

"We have to be solid at the back and create the number of chances that we did in the first leg and take those chances when they come along.

"If we do that, we've got a good opportunity. There is genuine belief that we can progress."

He has been given the green light to play

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/3731075/Boost-for-Gers-as-Goian-given-green-light.html#ixzz1TxuCwOHK

RANGERS have been told Dorin Goian IS available to play against Malmo tonight.

The Romanian defender looked set to sit out the crunch second leg Champions League qualifier after UEFA rejected Gers' request for him to play.

Goian, 30, had moved to Ibrox before last week's Champions League deadline.

But UEFA insisted his work-permit wasn't rubberstamped in time as Gers didn't have the proper paperwork in place.

Goian jetted out to Sweden with the squad yesterday morning as Gers chiefs continued to fight his corner.

Now it looks like their persistence has paid off after being given the green light for the ex-Palermo stopper to feature.

The news will come as a massive boost to Gers boss Ally McCoist.

He was already without the injured Davie Weir and was planning to use Steven Whittaker in the centre of defence if Goian hadn't made it.

Now he will be able to name Goian, who also missed last week's 1-0 first leg defeat at Ibrox, in his starting lineup at the Swedbank Stadium.

Twitter Jouno Chat

STVkeith Keith Downie

I'm hearing that #rangers may have been successful in their appeal to have Doron Goian available tonight v Malmo.

BBCchrismclaug Chris McLaughlin

Goian cleared to play for #rangers

Edited by Craigy1881
more sources