Another Signing?????

Would have preferred Benalouane due to being younger. That said, we did need reinforcements in defence so a welcome addition.

I still would like to see a creative midfielder AND a striker in.

The one concern with signing Bocanegra is that he is 32. So our CB's are Weir (42 by season end), Bocanegra (33 by season end), Goian (31 by season end), Bartley (only here on loan), and Ross Perry (22 by season end).

When you look at the ages of the above you have to assume that Weir will retire and we know that Bartley will be headed back to Arsenal. That would only leave us Goian and Bocanegra (31 and 33 respectively) with Ross Perry as likely back-up. You would have to expect we would only realistically get another season or two at most out of Bocanegra leaving us having to replace yet again.

I guess the point I am making is that we could probably do with a CB or two who are in the 26-27 age range that could assume the mantle of experienced CB who also has a number of years ahead of him to form an understanding with Perry or some other player coming through.

That said, we may well get Cuellar at that point and/or may get another CB - at this stage we were simply struggling for numbers and didnt really have the time to wait.

I am not overly concerned because the CB position is certainly one where experience has a lot going for it and these guys definitely bring experience.

I would assume that this means Danny Wilson is a no-go ?

Would have preferred Benalouane due to being younger. That said, we did need reinforcements in defence so a welcome addition.

I still would like to see a creative midfielder AND a striker in.

The one concern with signing Bocanegra is that he is 32. So our CB's are Weir (42 by season end), Bocanegra (33 by season end), Goian (31 by season end), Bartley (only here on loan), and Ross Perry (22 by season end).

When you look at the ages of the above you have to assume that Weir will retire and we know that Bartley will be headed back to Arsenal. That would only leave us Goian and Bocanegra (31 and 33 respectively) with Ross Perry as likely back-up. You would have to expect we would only realistically get another season or two at most out of Bocanegra leaving us having to replace yet again.

I guess the point I am making is that we could probably do with a CB or two who are in the 26-27 age range that could assume the mantle of experienced CB who also has a number of years ahead of him to form an understanding with Perry or some other player coming through.

That said, we may well get Cuellar at that point and/or may get another CB - at this stage we were simply struggling for numbers and didnt really have the time to wait.

I am not overly concerned because the CB position is certainly one where experience has a lot going for it and these guys definitely bring experience.

I would assume that this means Danny Wilson is a no-go ?

Craig,I have to disagree with your concerns over the players ages,they are experienced players and have a good few seaons left in them and the cost of bringing them in is minor. I don't see why you are so concerned?

Craig,I have to disagree with your concerns over the players ages,they are experienced players and have a good few seaons left in them and the cost of bringing them in is minor. I don't see why you are so concerned?

At 33 they dont have "a good few years" in them Ian. They have 2 at most more than likely - very few are as durable as Sir Davie of Weir.

My concern is that the CB's we have are either all old or all young - there is no middle ground allowing the "slightly younger than the old ones but with more experience than the young ones" players to grow into the experienced player and also coach the younger ones through games.

In fact, when you look at what we havem, at the end of this season we will only have 3 CB's (if you assume Weir retires, which he probably will) and 2 of them will be the wrong side of 30.

By not having any mid-20's CB's we run the risk of this perpetual cycle of having to replace.

Perry will hopefully get game time and experience alongside these guys, thus allowing him to become one of the "experienced but still relatively young" players which would help.

My point is that it could become a cycle where we dont have stability.

That said, I still think I would rather have ANY of our CB's than what they have across the city.