Another Signing?????

At 33 they dont have "a good few years" in them Ian. They have 2 at most more than likely - very few are as durable as Sir Davie of Weir.

My concern is that the CB's we have are either all old or all young - there is no middle ground allowing the "slightly younger than the old ones but with more experience than the young ones" players to grow into the experienced player and also coach the younger ones through games.

In fact, when you look at what we havem, at the end of this season we will only have 3 CB's (if you assume Weir retires, which he probably will) and 2 of them will be the wrong side of 30.

By not having any mid-20's CB's we run the risk of this perpetual cycle of having to replace.

Perry will hopefully get game time and experience alongside these guys, thus allowing him to become one of the "experienced but still relatively young" players which would help.

My point is that it could become a cycle where we dont have stability.

That said, I still think I would rather have ANY of our CB's than what they have across the city.

Craig,I happen to think they can continue playing until they reach 36ish,barring injury,so aye a good few years.And I wasn't comparing them to SDOW. Their age is a good age,IMO,for CB,not too old and not too young.

Replacing players is part of football mate,how many players stay at one club for long. If the young guy Perry continues to improve then there is one young CB with LW a potential cover for CB.

I'm don't share your concerns mate.

I agree with you Craig we have very experienced defenders in Goian, Bocanegra and Weir and inexperienced players like Bartley and Perry. No Middle ground both with age and experience, 2 extremes so to speak.

Bartley has enough SPL experience in my book and is young,while Perry is 22 I think? but looks like he is making a break through. The only old player is SDOW and he has been the best defender in the SPL since he arrived. Goian & Bocanegra can hardly be described as old.

Craig,I happen to think they can continue playing until they reach 36ish,barring injury,so aye a good few years.And I wasn't comparing them to SDOW. Their age is a good age,IMO,for CB,not too old and not too young.

Replacing players is part of football mate,how many players stay at one club for long. If the young guy Perry continues to improve then there is one young CB with LW a potential cover for CB.

I'm don't share your concerns mate.

No worries Ian. Maybe I am just being ageist ;)

The thing is, even looking at another 3 years as you say.... we then have just Perry who is 24. There is no-one there to take that "experienced" mantle, so we need to go out and replace again.

Maybe I want the cake and to eat it too by having someone at about 27 or 28, who would naturally take the experienced position in 2 or 3 years time, allowing is a "cycle" rather than boom or bust.

And yep, you are right, players move so frequently that hoping for a 27 yr old who would commit for 6 yrs is maybe a bit optimistic.

I am not disappointed with the signings, dont get me wrong.

I guess another way of looking at it is that our CM positions SHOULD be Davis (26) and Ness (20) for the foreseeable future whilst Wallace at LB and only 24, as well as other player such as Naismith, Jelavic, Lafferty and now Bedoya means that we do have a number of players who are young and with plenty of time on their hands. So, if needed, any reinforcements needed at CB in the next couple of years should be OK as there should be less necessity to reinforce other areas.

CARLOS BOCANEGRA signed for Rangers last night - 45 MINUTES before the Euro deadline.

Now boss Ally McCoist hopes to get international clearance to play the USA World Cup star against Maribor tonight.

Gers swooped to land the St Etienne defender in a �£300,000 deal with Bocanegra, 32, signing a three-year contract.

McCoist also landed his USA international team-mate Alejandro Bedoya yesterday.

But it was the capture of Bocanegra that handed McCoist a crucial boost ahead of tonight's Europa League play-off in Slovenia.

After a day of tense negotiations with the French outfit McCoist was given the news late on that the deal had gone through.

Gers now need to get paperwork in place before they are able to play the ex-Fulham ace tonight.

But Bocanegra will jet out to Slovenia this morning to join the squad.

The deal was done before last night's 11pm deadline, with McCoist desperate to pitch him in against Maribor.

Bedoya also penned a three-year deal but won't feature in tonight's clash in Slovenia.

The USA international winger clinched a �£300,000 move and is in line to make his debut at Motherwell on Sunday.

Bedoya said: "The waiting is over and I'm so excited and thankful for this opportunity. I can't wait to join Rangers."

McCoist said: "We're absolutely thrilled to get Alejandro in at last.

"We've wanted to get a few players in and he is one of them.

"I have no doubt he will be a great asset to us and he is someone we have been looking at for a while.

"I'm just so pleased the clubs agreed terms and we can get him to join the squad now.

"That will happen as soon as possible. He has got to go to Stockholm to get his visa and he's as keen to join up with us as we are to have him here.

"Hopefully we can get everything done so he can get his Rangers career underway."

Bedoya, who had agreed a pre-contract to leave Swedish outfit Orebro for Ibrox in January, has penned a three-year deal.

He'll link up with international team-mates Mo Edu and fellow new signing Bocanegra in Glasgow.

But one player who could be on his way out of Ibrox on the short-term is midfielder John Fleck.

Blackpool want to take him on loan and that could happen if Gers bring in more new players.

McCoist said: "Blackpool were showing a bit of interest about two or three weeks ago.

"It's Catch 22 because Flecky needs to go and play every week.

"I appreciate that, but I don't think we are in a position right now to let him go now."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3759292/Carlos-jets-in-for-Rangers.html#ixzz1VKkm0sRl

See where your coming from Craig but we need to steady the ship this year and I believe we have without spending too much which means more money come January or next close season. But saying that would love to see a 5mill striker walk through the door we can but dream.

IMHO, people like Bocanegra and McKay are very fit players and can play for some years. We'd never have given Bocanegra a 3-year deal if we weren't convinced that they couldn't handle it.

On a sidenote, it looks to me that McCoist's World Cup scouting finally bears some fruits. Let's hope we get McKay too tomorrow and all we need is another lethal striker.

EDIT ... that said, since the wing positions are all covered now, we may see Naismith and Lafferty providing assistance to Jela up front on a permanent basis.

Edited by der Berliner