Celtic appeal against ineligble Sion players.

STV report that Celtic have protested aginst the inclusion of several players selected by last night's winners and hope to be reinstated in the competition. Who saw that one coming eh? Apologies if this has been posted earlier.

It's looking very likely that they'll be part of the EL group stages. Their fans will undoubtedly be a happy bunch but they'll fail to realise that their team is still as rank as it was by FT yesterday.

There isnt that much financially to be gained from the EL, so the money aspect isnt that big of a deal.

The real potential advantage for us is that they could have 6 (or more, but not too many more I would fancy) additional games and that could see them dropping points in the league.

I know this is easy to say now that we are knocked out of Europe but winning the league is paramount due to automatic entry into the CL next year. In a perverse way, Celtic making the EL group stages (no matter how they get in) could ultimately provide us with a 15 mill windfall. They get 3 or 4 mill for their EL run whilst we get treble that for gaining auto entry to CL. Fair trade-off.....

But we need to do our bit obviously.

There isnt that much financially to be gained from the EL, so the money aspect isnt that big of a deal.

The real potential advantage for us is that they could have 6 (or more, but not too many more I would fancy) additional games and that could see them dropping points in the league.

I know this is easy to say now that we are knocked out of Europe but winning the league is paramount due to automatic entry into the CL next year. In a perverse way, Celtic making the EL group stages (no matter how they get in) could ultimately provide us with a 15 mill windfall. They get 3 or 4 mill for their EL run whilst we get treble that for gaining auto entry to CL. Fair trade-off.....

But we need to do our bit obviously.

A good way to look at it. But I would have been happy if they could actually win some EL games and rack up some co-efficient points for the future so we could ALL benefit. As it is I fear they'll just heap more embarrassment on us as I cant see them winning ANY games in that group.

Its 4 or 5 million earned that they could spend on players in January. Id want them in for the sake it would tire them, but there is a big enough gulf in finances as it is. Worst case, they get back in and win the league. That would be a 20 million windfall for them that i doubt we'd recover from for a long long time

Its 4 or 5 million earned that they could spend on players in January. Id want them in for the sake it would tire them, but there is a big enough gulf in finances as it is. Worst case, they get back in and win the league. That would be a 20 million windfall for them that i doubt we'd recover from for a long long time

I understand your fear.

But we have just won 3IAR under dire financial circumstances whilst they have been OK financially. It wouldnt necessarily be all doom and gloom.

Preferably they dont get back in and we win the league - that is my preference. But if they DO get back in then we have to make the fewer games we have count to our advantage.