Extremely pleased with our defence this season.

5 players of note to talk about, mostly very positive indeed.

1: Sasa Papac - since the signing of Wallace the Bosnian's game has improved tenfold. His block on the line yesterday was top class and he was involved with a lot of good work at the back. I'm quite happy seeing him in the team these days - it's as if he's been in an easy comfort zone for too long, never extending himself - but now he is and the improvement is drastic.

2: Steven Whittaker. Had a truly awful start to the season, and became a figure of 'dislike' shall we say. But has steadly got his game together over the past 3 or 4 matches and imho was the MOTM against St Mirren. Looking much better, and more worth the wages he's getting.

3: Carlos Bocanegra. What the American lacks in height and strength he makes up for with absolutely superb positional sense and cracking use of the ball. His lob for Jelavic yesterday has barely been mentioned, but was pinpoint. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time and makes timely interventions regularly. He doesn't go sliding in much, and lacks muscle, but has a lot of intelligence and that more than makes up for it.

4: Dorin Goian. Here's another Goian fact for you - he's a bargain. Ally really excelled himself bringing in a high quality Romanian stopper for such a low price. Goian doesn't quite class as a 'bruiser' but he's a strong, fit, and agile CB who is not scared to put his foot in and times his tackles brilliantly. He's also very good in the air. Along with Carlos we have a truly superb central defence.

5: Lee Wallace. Been a little unlucky with injury so far, but shown what he can do in patches. Very dynamic full back - his defensive game isn't imperious by any means but like Hutton in days gone by he gets forward with aplomb and gives us a good balance on the left when he plays.

Is this why we've conceded only 4 goals this season? Could well be. It's the best defence we've had for some time. And there's Bartley in reserve!

Also think David Weir is well and truly being faded out now. After being used against Liverpool he was axed again from the squad on Sunday.

The new Iron Curtain has been drawn closed, and it will stay that way until the title trophy is lifted in May.

At least we know what we're all about on the park and Ally's doing a fine job so far as the Gers manager.

Good stuff, long may it contiune.

Yeah, our defence is looking very good. Goian and Boca have been excellent signings. Wallace, I'm less sure about but I think he'll get better with more experience of the standards expected at Rangers.

What really impresses me is that we haven't conceded an away goal in 16 or 17 away SPL games. Unbelievable statistic!

The start of the season (european games) was a disaster but the coaches and players have worked hard to sort themselves out.

I don't think it's fair to say Weir was "axed". He played in a friendly after recovering from injury but while he was injured the two player that have filled the centre back positions have formed a fantastic partnership which is a keystone of the reason for this thread in the first place.

To break up that partnership against one of the hardest teams in the league to play against (or any team for that matter) would be totally illogical. When you have something working so well for so long, you don't start swapping half of it out.

There is no evidence Weir is being "faded out", he's a 41 year old who resigned as defensive cover that lately hasn't been needed - not even close. It's like saying your car insurance is being faded out because you haven't had an accident...

He was always going to be a squad player this season and the combination of his injury and the fantastic form and lack of injuries of our two first choices has meant he naturally hasn't featured since the start of the season.

However, he is an immensely able back-up that could prove to be invaluable later in the season, and he brings far more to the squad than just his ability to do a job as a player. He has an immensely wise and experienced head on his shoulders and I would be shocked if that's not being exploited by the coaching staff.

Maybe Hemmings is being "faded out" also...

Bougherra who???

Defence (without doubt includes McGregor) has probably went beyond expectations considering during the summer we were thinking it would maybe be Broadfoot and Papac lining up together, then there was the Cuellar "will he sign / wont he sign" debate.

As Gav says the clean sheet stats are amazing.

Still think Whittaker is a bombscare defending and careless all over the park.

The only concern is the long term future of the defence. Bartley is on loan, Bocanegra is 33 (but probably has at least 2 years in him by the looks of things) and Weir is 41. Id say Goian will be one half of the centre partnership for the next 3-4 years but who with? Perhaps Papac can move into the centre again now we have Wallace and I have a feeling we will go back in for Cuellar at some stage. The other option of course is to put Whittaker into the middle, thats the only position he has impressed me but I wouldnt rule out the possibility of that success being down to playing next to Weir.

Bougherra who???

Defence (without doubt includes McGregor) has probably went beyond expectations considering during the summer we were thinking it would maybe be Broadfoot and Papac lining up together, then there was the Cuellar "will he sign / wont he sign" debate.

As Gav says the clean sheet stats are amazing.

Still think Whittaker is a bombscare defending and careless all over the park.

The only concern is the long term future of the defence. Bartley is on loan, Bocanegra is 33 (but probably has at least 2 years in him by the looks of things) and Weir is 41. Id say Goian will be one half of the centre partnership for the next 3-4 years but who with? Perhaps Papac can move into the centre again now we have Wallace and I have a feeling we will go back in for Cuellar at some stage. The other option of course is to put Whittaker into the middle, thats the only position he has impressed me but I wouldnt rule out the possibility of that success being down to playing next to Weir.

Whittaker in the middle was good for 2 games or so but I wouldn't want him there much longer.