Glasgow Rangers Football Club Ltd

WRT the tax settlement opportunity, it seems that we'd still be liable for the amounts plus interest but minus the punitive fines. That would still be what, £35M? I doubt we'd just pay that if we have a strong case for winning.

I think it sounds like a bit of a scam from customs to dupe those who legally exploited the loopholes before they were closed into paying up rather than facing the risk and, which has been shown with their tactics against Rangers, the embarrassment of being investigated.

Cant remember if i've seen this posted on here or elsewhere, but what is the deal with Arsenal supposedly settling a £300mil bill for £10mil?

That was regarding image rights payments made offshore so not really a related issue. HMRC haven't won a case against the use of EBT's (Employee Benefit Trusts) yet....let's hope all the i's were dotted and t's crossed when it was put into practice by Rangers.

As far as I know, they are encouraging settling before this case, as if you choose to settle, and pay the tax/penalties/interest, then you will not be able to get it back if they lose the Rangers case. So they are trying to get some people to pay some money in case the courts say that the people in questions are not due anything. Pretty rotten...

That was regarding image rights payments made offshore so not really a related issue. HMRC haven't won a case against the use of EBT's (Employee Benefit Trusts) yet....let's hope all the i's were dotted and t's crossed when it was put into practice by Rangers.

I dont think that is true Juan. The Grant Thornton had a link to a case which the defendant won, but the House of Lords overturned it on appeal, awarding the case to HMRC.

I dont think that is true Juan. The Grant Thornton had a link to a case which the defendant won, but the House of Lords overturned it on appeal, awarding the case to HMRC.

Hadn't heard about that Craig, quite disturbing to think we could win the case and then face the agony of an appeal. Be interesting to glean anything from the case you mentioned, what the basis for the appeal was etc.

No surrender!