Rangers keeper Adam on bigot rap

My personal opinion is that if he IS found guilty by the courts, the club should take the hard line and get shot ASAP.

Certain groups feel that this is a problem within the club, and I get the impression that some feel that the club isn't doing enough. If Adam is found guilty of a sectarian breach, and the club get shot of him, they can at least turn round and say that an issue had arisen, and dealt with. Could Celtic say the same about last years Poppy embarrassment or any of the reports of their fans sectarian behaviour???

My personal opinion is that if he IS found guilty by the courts, the club should take the hard line and get shot ASAP.

Certain groups feel that this is a problem within the club, and I get the impression that some feel that the club isn't doing enough. If Adam is found guilty of a sectarian breach, and the club get shot of him, they can at least turn round and say that an issue had arisen, and dealt with. Could Celtic say the same about last years Poppy embarrassment or any of the reports of their fans sectarian behaviour???

Re your first paragraph I am inclined to agree, although it goes against my personal opinion that it is free speech and saying FTP is hardly, IMO, that offensive.

Re your second I find it a touch confusing (to me, nothing to do with you Danny). I agree with you that people think we have a problem and that we could say we had dealt with it. But we have previous of such problems and they HAVE been dealt with. Celtic refuse to accept they have a problem, they dealt with sectarian slurs by Lennon by making him captain and subsequent manager (as Frankie points out). How did they deal with Hartson ? Nothing.

So where I find it confusing is that we already HAVE dealt with such issues. But certain groups still feel we have a problem..... Celtic have NOT dealt with such instances and get a free ride, or so it seems.

Firing Adam does nothing to shift that balance. I am not saying we shouldnt fire Adam but there have been plenty other instances of this which have NOT resulted in the players having to leave their club. Diamond and Paton are still with their club despite their FTQ rants online (they got lucky because there was no legislation in place at the time). Lennon escaped unpuinished and still does....

So we would be able to take the moral high ground - but would we even be seen by the media, or credited by them, for doing the right thing ? Highly doubtful.

I can see your point about trying to live to a higher standard than the rest, but that only works when the rest are at least try to live with our standard at the moment and their not.

Time and again we have players from other teams having a pop about Huns this or FTQ that or even dirty prods. It gets paid lip service in the media and the clubs give them a slap on the wrist.

This time we should highlight that Grant has been a stupid boy and it is being dealt with internally just the same as the rest of the SPL.

There is no reason why FTP should be considered sectarian, Rangers are not a religious club or have any links to any religion we are a secular organisation and so attacking the head of a religion should be "free speech". Maybe there is a big Christian/Protestant element to our support but I would hazard a guess that 75% of "us" do not practice.

I dressed up as a Cardinal at Halloween and had an interesting debate with a Celtic supporting neighbour of mine...his view was that I was being borderline sectarian. His justification for saying that was simply because I am a Rangers supporter! I told him in a free country it is against no law or by-law to mock a religious leader no matter which team you support. You don't see Hitchens or Fry being arrested and charged with sectarian offences and they regularly rip Catholicism apart. Rangers fans seem to have lesser rights than everybody else.

6322055635_ba94889121_m.jpg

So where I find it confusing is that we already HAVE dealt with such issues. But certain groups still feel we have a problem..... Celtic have NOT dealt with such instances and get a free ride, or so it seems.

Firing Adam does nothing to shift that balance. I am not saying we shouldnt fire Adam but there have been plenty other instances of this which have NOT resulted in the players having to leave their club. Diamond and Paton are still with their club despite their FTQ rants online (they got lucky because there was no legislation in place at the time). Lennon escaped unpuinished and still does....

So we would be able to take the moral high ground - but would we even be seen by the media, or credited by them, for doing the right thing ? Highly doubtful.

The spotlight is continually on the club to be seen to be doing something about sectarianism, by not taking the hard-line, we will be criticised for it & accused of brushing it under the carpet - regardless of what has gone on in the past or else where. I feel it is more about building examples within the club so that when external bodies question the clubs commitment about dealing with sectarianism, clear & defined evidence can be produced.

It is not fair that the club should have to do this, but that is the state of things at the moment.

The spotlight is continually on the club to be seen to be doing something about sectarianism, by not taking the hard-line, we will be criticised for it & accused of brushing it under the carpet - regardless of what has gone on in the past or else where. I feel it is more about building examples within the club so that when external bodies question the clubs commitment about dealing with sectarianism, clear & defined evidence can be produced.

It is not fair that the club should have to do this, but that is the state of things at the moment.

Yup. As I said, I am conflicted on it.

We all know that we as a club ARE taking the moral high ground on all this stuff. Findlay was just one example - we can also look at other non-sectarian issues ala the Boozegate scandal. As a club we took the correct approach despite the very real possibility that it could have cost us the title.

Take a look across the river though... and you can see that a very different approach is taken.

Where the problem lies is that we dont get any credit for doing the right thing. The media take a "so they should" approach... yet there is little media attention given to the misdemeanours of Celtic representatives.

It is hard to have a fair fight when one hand is tied behind your back.

The issue for me is that we will probably continue to do what is RIGHT, possibly to our own detriment. Whilst Celtic (and others) will do next to nothing or pay their issues lip service..... and it will be swept under the carpet.

We are damned either way.

Which is why I think we need to be meeting these issues head on. These instances dont help but we need to be far more pro-active in highlighting where we do the right thing, not just because it is right but because we are a club with integrity, dignity and a social conscience.