Stewart Regan Bigot Jibe

I've always had a problem with this whole 'hun' thing. I don't personally find it that offensive in the way I'd find OB offensive. I also don't entirely feel it's bigoted any more than tim is. OB and fenian for me are the two terms which stink of bigotry, tim and hun don't strike me as the same level at all.

I also don't expect Regan to be looking at all the tweets of these users to establish whether or not he's communicating with a bigot. Like you say Chris, he's not replying to bigoted comments - but you seem to be making an assumption that he's aware of the use of the word 'hun' being made by people to other Tweeter.

I'm not defending him, I think the SFA has been a quite abysmal organisation since the days of Farry, and I wouldn't be shocked if Regan is part of the problem.

I'm just not sure your blog, well compiled though it is, proves a stain on his character.

Danny, I doubt many of us are really genuinely offended by the use of 'hun' but, as is the case with 'fenian', Scottish case law infers it is indeed sectarian in many/most contexts.

Ergo, given Mr Regan seems keen to tar reasonable people with the bigot brush after blocking them for no reason, I think Chris is right to question his judgement when he doesn't block those who are less than constructive. Personally, I'm pretty careful with whom I interact with on Twitter and I'm not in a huge position of responsibility like Regan.

I find his actions inconsistent and puzzling. Which is why he's probably blocked me. His loss!

Tim and Hun are totally different. Tim is a very mild term which they use to describe themselves and I can't imagine any of them are offended by it. The Rangers equivalents in my opinion are Billy and Bear - what we call ourselves and what we don't mind being called. Billy is probably the most equivalent but has been dropped recently probably due to its anachronistic nature along with the banning of TBB.

Hun is not a term many Rangers fans use and although is not extremely offensive in itself, to me it is a far more offensive word than the word Fenian (another word they use to describe themselves and more about support of the IRA than religion). Hun is a derogatory term used to describe protestants as shown by the fact Hearts are given the same abuse and the severity of the word is backed up by the venom in which those that use the term spit it out: they rarely say "hun", it's more like "HUNNN!!!!!" in the same way you hear very extreme racial and sectarian terms of abuse from the likes of neo-nazis or KKK etc. There is not much of a step away from that to using it to dehumanise people and by doing so incite violence against them - a tactic used by oppressors throughout history, eg in Rwanda with the term "cockroaches".

I think deep down most of us are grown up and sophisticated enough not to be that offended by the term even though I've explained it's offensiveness. We're a bit of a sticks and stones lot when we feel it's all harmless banter: we rarely get very upset by the likes of Jeremy Clarkson or Frankie Boyle either; we get the joke.

However, we have to take a stand these days as our banter is being outlawed while we are being marginalised by a massive increase in discrimination and victimisation that has long since crossed the boundaries of banter, and are starting to show serious repercussions for our club and supporters.

We have to fight for equality before we are truly the oppressed. I say we should show zero tolerance towards the hypocritical use of such abuse terms towards us until we have a level playing field, and before it's too late.

You may not be offended by the word, Hun but with the huge rise in insidious and hypocritical crap that comes with it, you SHOULD be. It is threatening your equal and democratic standing in society.

Edited by calscot

The hun argument goes unnoticed in Scotland.

In Belfast you find Loyalist areas with the slogan "kill all taigs". In republican areas you find the slogan "Kill all huns". They're not making reference to Rangers fans, but protestants.

Danny, I doubt many of us are really genuinely offended by the use of 'hun' but, as is the case with 'fenian', Scottish case law infers it is indeed sectarian in many/most contexts.

Ergo, given Mr Regan seems keen to tar reasonable people with the bigot brush after blocking them for no reason, I think Chris is right to question his judgement when he doesn't block those who are less than constructive. Personally, I'm pretty careful with whom I interact with on Twitter and I'm not in a huge position of responsibility like Regan.

I find his actions inconsistent and puzzling. Which is why he's probably blocked me. His loss!

Ah, it was you who tweeted that :D

Our Mr Regan clearly dislikes being questioned on anything.