Ajax -AZ abandoned through a hooligan

the rules of football go out the window when you are confronted with a completely unexpected scenario the way he was.

Sorry don't agree with that either. A player who enters the field of play is bound by the Laws of the Game, one of which is against Violent Conduct. It is up to the Police and stewards to deal with the attacker.

I am not a polis Dutch or Scottish but I'd be astonished if he isn't arrested and of course the spectator.

That point was brought up tonight on telly and they interviewed a top Lawyer. He said that it would be very unlikely if any prosecutor would burn his fingers on trying to make a case against the keeper. The fact that the hooligan instigated the whole situation and the short time between the kicks was enough to stop any criminal charges. The first kick would certainly be considered self defence and the second two kicks would be considered as a heat of the moment incident. If the time between the first kick and the other kicks was something like 5 minutes then they would be deemed premeditated and he could be charged. I hope this is understandable but I am not up in legal terms

Sorry don't agree with that either. A player who enters the field of play is bound by the Laws of the Game, one of which is against Violent Conduct. It is up to the Police and stewards to deal with the attacker.

Again, you obviously know better than me BH, but is that player entering the field of play bound by those rules (violent conduct) even when the person he commits said conduct against is nothing to do with being bound by the same rules ?

Genuinely interested in this. Because, it would seem, going by that logic, the fan could kick seven shades of shit out of the keeper and even if the keeper throws one single, solitary punch (even AFTER being beaten) then he gets red carded for violent conduct ??

I just dont see the logic in that. So on the 28th, we are winning 1-0..... one of their fans charges the pitch and beats the shit out of McGregor, McGregor hits him in self defence, but McGregor gets sent off ? And we have to finish the game with 10 men due to the actions of someone bound by none of the aforementioned rules ?

Sorry, but in that type of instance, I think the rules are seriously flawed.

Craig, what I heard on 5live is that it's violent conduct against anyone on the field of play including a pitch invader. The ref has applied the letter of the law here. It's retaliation in the same way if a player had kicked the keeper and he then did that to his opponent.

Craig, what I heard on 5live is that it's violent conduct against anyone on the field of play including a pitch invader. The ref has applied the letter of the law here. It's retaliation in the same way if a player had kicked the keeper and he then did that to his opponent.

Cheers juff, which is fair enough.

But nobody is going to convince me that the law is flawed then. The example I gave is unlikely but still plausible - so a team can gain an advantage by utilising their FANS to instigate bother.... dont be surprised if the Tims have their patsy(ies) already lined up for the 28th.

I just find it illogical that a pitch invader can get a player sent off.

In your example at least two players would be sent off. What happened here is a fan got a night in the clink whilst his team gained a man advantage...

Oh well.

Cheers juff, which is fair enough.

But nobody is going to convince me that the law is flawed then. The example I gave is unlikely but still plausible - so a team can gain an advantage by utilising their FANS to instigate bother.... dont be surprised if the Tims have their patsy(ies) already lined up for the 28th.

I just find it illogical that a pitch invader can get a player sent off.

In your example at least two players would be sent off. What happened here is a fan got a night in the clink whilst his team gained a man advantage...

Oh well.

Have to say Craig after reading through all the posts I'm with you on this one, if it was me you put him down and keep him down until somebody helps or he just isn't getting back up.

The rules or law go out the window when it comes to personal safety.

I think it's the victim not the attacker who's health we should be worried about and if the assailant ends up getting a bit hurt with the victim ensuring that they are in no more danger/are fully detering their attacker then that's just fine imo.

In this instance the attacker turns into the victim and vice versa. The hooligan was on the deck even before the GK kicked him the 1st time. There was no sign of the hooligan attempting to get back to his feet before the 1st or 2nd kick so the 2nd kick wasn't needed.