McKay should go out on loan

Former Socceroos star Craig Moore says Matt McKay may need to go out on a short-term loan deal in January, or even leave the club, to guarantee first-team football.

And that could even mean a return to the A-League.

Former Brisbane Roar captain McKay joined Scottish Premier League giants Rangers six months ago but has hardly featured under manager Ally McCoist.

Moore, who admits he played a vital role in getting McKay to Rangers, said McKay's lack of first-team football is a concern for his national team prospects.

Writing in his Courier-Mail column, Moore said the 28-year-old 'is suffering the same fate as so many other Australian players in Europe - he's not playing'.

"I'm heading over to Scotland, so I will know more about Matty's situation and what he wants to do to ensure his career does not permanently stall," said Moore.

"I will be encouraging him to leave the club, even if he goes on loan somewhere."

Moore says a host of A-League clubs clubs would be interested in his services and he cites Mustafa Amini's deal with the Central Coast Mariners as an example of how it could work.

"It would not be a unique situation, with Amini being bought in the off-season by German giants Borussia Dortmund before being loaned back to the Mariners," said Moore.

"It's a win-win situation for everybody."

There's hardly a more strange enigma when it comes to team selections this season. I simply cannot fathom what McKay has done wrong ... when you compare the sub-standard displays of Davis, the use of Edulloch and even Papac in midfield. If there was a fall out between them, credit to both that they keep their dignity so far ...

McKay, like Bedoya, simply hasn't impressed when given his chance. They along with Ortiz are the black sheep of our transfer activity under Ally, with 6 success stories to counter them.

6 out of 9 isn't a bad return.

Although when it comes to McKay I was one of the few who was entirely underwhelmed when we signed him.

How many chances exactly has he had. I only remember him being on once and he was fairly anonymous right enough, but is that enough to tell what he'd be like?

He did set up a goal in that game. I just think he needs to change his clan and become a McCulloch.:sneaky:

Too early to write the guy off. He's not had a run in the team to allow us to properly assess the guy.

But then, I do accept the point that he hasn't been able to force his way into the team despite our recent mediocrity

Ever since PLG I stopped buying the whole 'needs a run in the team' theory to explain why a player isn't doing it.

Very few players have ever struggled at their new club for months before finding their feet and hitting form - the highest profile contrary example I can think of is Benzema. So I know it does happen. But it is used far too regularly when a player simply isn't good enough.

I'm trying to think of a Rangers player who played poorly initially then found his feet and became decent. After months of being poor. And the only example I can think of was Papac who was a CB thrown straight in at LB and struggled there till he learned how to play the position.