Gersnet Analysis: David Murray ââ?¬â?? His Last Performance?

http://www.gersnet.info/fmrangers/newmain/301006.html

After yet another week of disappointment and underachievement, the debates have been raging once more about whom to blame for said woes.

The culpable parties range from Paul Le Guen to Charlie Richmond; from Filip Sebo to the RST. Mainly though, bit by bit, the attention is moving to the invisible man himself ââ?¬â?? David Murray.

It is interesting to read and listen to the wide range of opinion regarding this interesting character. Some suggest he�s the Messiah, others say he�s the anti-Christ. Myself, I prefer the middle-ground, but by the day I can feel the atmosphere getting hotter.

Where is our chairman at the moment? Is he basking on the slopes of his south facing French vineyards? Or he is working by candlelight in his Charlotte Square offices while the property market and his ever-increasing portfolio make his Murray International Holdings group even more money? One thing is for sure; he won�t be at Ibrox finding out why our club falls further and further behind in the financial backwaters of the Scottish Premier League.

I think it was during the heady days of 9-in-a-row that this particular business magician assured us that while he remained in charge heââ?¬â?¢d spend Ã?£10 for every fiver Celtic spent. Days of yore, indeed. I remember the 1990s well. An incredible run in the inaugural Championsââ?¬â?¢ League. Brian Laudrup, Paul Gascoigne and a record equalling league title run. Millions upon millions spent ââ?¬Ë?chasing the dreamââ?¬â?¢. I loved it ââ?¬â?? we all did.

Unfortunately, it couldnââ?¬â?¢t last and it didnââ?¬â?¢t. We took our eye off the ball and Celtic made their comeback. Their stadium was suddenly bigger and over an incredibly short period of time, they were the ones contesting UEFA Cup finals and spending the bigger money. Our success was more sporadic but no less enjoyable in some respects ââ?¬â?? hiding the cracks indeed. Times changed, mistakes were made and things would never been the same again.

Suddenly our excellent businessman had our club �£80million in debt. Downsizing was inevitable and necessary but surely ambition and support would remain the same? That doesnâ��t seem to be the case any more and my goodness it hurts. Badly.

We are a club in crisis ââ?¬â?? make no mistake. From the top down our club is rotten to the core. Our chairman and his right hand man are AWOL and donââ?¬â?¢t care. Our security chief sanctions arrests against our fans while opposition supporters sing songs about disasters in stadiums built in our absent friendsââ?¬â?¢ memory. Our once proud shops lie empty and vandalised shaming the badge that now hangs sadly above. The ticket office charges us for services that should be free. Our PR team embarrasses us and only exacerbates our worsening and unfair reputation. I could go on all night.

There are of course some bright lights. We do have an excellent training facility and our manager, despite obvious problems, is one with the knowledge and expertise to turn our fortunes around. But it seems heââ?¬â?¢ll need to do so without fiscal backing from a man who canââ?¬â?¢t keep his promises. From a man who lies to his own so-called ââ?¬Ë?Rangers familyââ?¬â?¢.

No matter how obvious the problems appear to some, others wonââ?¬â?¢t hear a word of criticism. ââ?¬Ë?Not David Murrayââ?¬â?¢, they say, ââ?¬Ë?He bought us the glory days and loves the club the same as usââ?¬â?¢. All half-truths of course, but their hero wonââ?¬â?¢t correct them. He has a business to run and a reputation to protect.

What they fail to realise is that David Murray isnââ?¬â?¢t a fan of Rangers like you or I. He isnââ?¬â?¢t in our family. Family members stick by their kin and ensure their development selflessly. Our owner doesnââ?¬â?¢t do that. Maybe he did once ââ?¬â?? the waters are too muddied to be sure.

Yes, heâ��s invested money but heâ��s made just as much. He has spent around �£70million including a few share issues and buying the club. If he sells for �£50million he gets most of that back. Add the Club Deck steel money, the RHL call centre money, the Albion car park money, the Azure Catering money and his various companiesâ�� increased profile and prestige from being associated with Rangers, I think one won't be far off matching his overall investment.

When one compares that to OUR investment it doesnââ?¬â?¢t come close. We spent around Ã?£25million minimum every season. We donââ?¬â?¢t do that to make money ââ?¬â?? itââ?¬â?¢s an emotional investment ââ?¬â?? one we make in hope and expectation ââ?¬â?? not in cold blood and hard cash. Murray's investment, both from a financial and emotional perspective, doesn't come close. As such, although certain aspects of his tenure deserve credit and should be remembered with fondness other parts remain questionable and the respect afforded to him should be realistic. Not given blindly and cheaply.

One thing is for certain ââ?¬â?? David Murray does not want to be here any longer. Ergo, he can leave his legacy in a few positive ways or he can prove the negativity above is fair.

Firstly, he can invest �£10million in the club in January. Itâ��s not a great deal of cash to a man worth �£650million. About 1.5% of his total wealth - around the same percentage as you or I may invest each season.

Secondly, he can sell the quickly club at a realistic price. Not at the Ã?£80million or more he may think itââ?¬â?¢s worth. Iââ?¬â?¢m thinking more about the Ã?£20-30million mark ââ?¬â?? high enough to make the profit he wants but low enough to attract a buyer whoââ?¬â?¢ll then have money left to make the improvements Murray canââ?¬â?¢t or wonââ?¬â?¢t.

Finally, if he really feels part of a family and really cares about the rest of us, he should donate 10% of his holding to the RST ensuring genuine supporters� representation in the future. Representation that is deserving of fans that do give their all for the club and who don�t make money back through outsourcing and other backdoor deals.

Smoke and mirrors is a description I often hear about David Murray. In many respects it�s certainly apt and our very own magician still has some time to pull something out of the hat and ensure the early part of his performance isn�t sullied by the actions of what appears to be a tired and uncaring con-man.

The lights are dimming on the stage. Has David Murray already left the building? Or does he have one last performance?

Great read Frankie.

Id be surprised if DM had any more GOOD surprises for us left up his sleeve before he departs, be it in 2 years or 5 years. Since we have no real say in the matter, we can only hope he will sell on to a chairman who gives a little more to the fans' needs instead of his own pockets' needs.

Aye, good read mate.DM likes to call himself a Rangers fan........but i don't know any Rangers fan that would treat fellow supporters like shit......!!!!,and i'm quite sure if any real Rangers man had his sort of money he would gladly help out..................

joining the rst is our only way forward.

Check.

The only time I've seen fan power (crap term but you know what I mean) was last season when the AM situation got beyond a joke. DM at least had to listen, following the protests after a couple of games.

Not very dignified though. Not very Rangers. But at least it got coverage.

Yeah, excellent read as usual Frankie. I was almost in tears reading parts of that.

Looking to the heavens and praying for some divine intervention is probably as good a plan of action as any. Especially when talking about respect, truth and loyalty from a man who has lied through his back teeth to us for god only knows how long.

Any REAL RANGERS FAN(especially with approx 650 million) would use his last breath ensuring that, if he was leaving. The club was in good working order and moving forward and not leave it for the next owners to start from scratch.

Who knows, he might surprise us and do something extraordinary. I don't think the majority of GERS fans will be holding their breath though.