Ibrox return on offer to Smith: Former boss in line for Rangers comeback

had our financial situation been better I would have sacked him before the January window.

TBH, I think had the club situation be different, that probably would have been the case.

If everything else was rosey, and McCoist still couldn't get the results, then fair enough.....but that hasn't been the case. Pretty much anything that could go wrong, has gone wrong and its been completely outwith McCoists control in most cases.

As stated previously, I am still very skeptical about his long term suitability, but I am willing to be proved wrong and believe McCoist should be given that change once things are stabilised.

I personally think PLG should have been a lot more time in charge at Rangers. I think it was a real oppurtunity for Rangers to "clean house" and for the seeds for the future to be sewn. He was giving youth a chance and I think we would have ended up with a really good team. Even if it had taken a couple of trophyless seasons then so be it.

I think bringing Walter back while it stabilised us and he got us to the UEFA Cup final and he was most definetly a fantastic servant to the club tbh I think it set us back years it was all quick fixes again with no patience for youngsters to learn properly. I really think Rangers AND Celtic have lost the ability to make players better. Both used to sign players and make them better or bring good youngsters through the ranks and make them better where has that gone?

As far as Ally goes, I never really wanted him to be manager but I think he is doing a good job in difficult circumstances and I think at this most difficult of times the Rangers manager needs the fans support more than ever.

You can argue all you like about the footballing merits of PLG and AM, but it boils down to the fact that PLG walked away, AM didn't.

The best manager in the world is useless long term if he's not committed. If PLG could have done a decent job in more time - he should have taken that time. The guy walked out on us.

With regards to the footballing issue, when you look at the part of the season when things were more stable, McCoist produced one of the best starts in the SPL of all time. I don't remember PLG doing much before things went awry off the pitch.

At this moment I don't know if AM is a very good manager or not, and under the circumstance I can't see how anyone can make an unclouded judgement.

I think the only judgement we can really make is that (a) he's not shite as we're still in second place which with the usual argument of money is exactly where we SHOULD be - and this is despite a 10pt deduction and he can put in a fantastic winning streak when given a half-decent team ; and (b) he's not a total genius who can motive the players to win the league when the club is in total turmoil and close to extinction - oh yeah and with a 10pt deduction.

I do find it amusing when people go on about "baffled" by line-ups etc. It's been said about Souness, Smith, Advocaat, Eck, PLG, Smith, Ally and tons more like Alex Ferguson etc - all of whom have massive credentials and walk into huge paying, high profile jobs. It sometimes sounds similar to people being baffled by top scientists.

I'd like to see the credentials of some of these critics - that would be a laugh.

I'm not saying you can't criticise but implying you understand the game better and could do a better job is a bit over the top. I try not to this and instead try to compare to other managers we could realistically bring in. I can't think of anyone that we could have brought in and wanted to come that would have done a better job this season - and in fact most would have probably walked away by now, especially PLG.

This line about McCoist's Rangers having a great start to the season has to be seen in context!

1. The players just started the season playing the way they finished last season. It wasn't really that much to do with Ally and when the time came in matches to make changes he couldn't make the right ones. Occasionally it worked of (law of averages) course.

When our important play maker Steven Naismith got injured it was time to shuffle the pack HE HADN'T A CLUE! People played in midfield that were full backs, players played because they put pressure on him etc etc, so many things he got wrong it was getting to the stage it was embarrassing! When that lad got injured the driving force FROM LAST SEASON was gone and Ally was shown to be inept, no longer could they take to the field and return to the default position! When other teams changed tactics he just couldn't see it or combat it.

2. Celtic were rank and European football just highlighted their woeful manager.

3. When it came to opposing teams we hadn't met for some time ALL THE OPPOSING MANAGERS took him to the cleaners! Not just European ones - jesus h, even Pressley looked like 'the choosen one' alongside Ally!

4. We really did ride our luck in sooooo many games.

People will say I'm being overly harsh on Ally - I'm putting my POV and standing by it. If you don't want it to continue easy stop arguing with me.

We at Rangers have high standards Ally knew that before he took the job.

This won't go down well with most but right now i could give two fucks about his management skills. The seasons gone, it's about survival, and there's no man on this earth i'd want as manager at our club right now.

People will say I'm being overly harsh on Ally - I'm putting my POV and standing by it. If you don't want it to continue easy stop arguing with me.

What an incredibly obnoxious statement.

Why should people give you the last word when you are making outlandish statements.

So Greig was a better manager ?

Why should the start of the season be put in context ? We were winning, Ally was picking the team - what context is there ? You are being highly selective in how you defend your position here.

Anything positive that has happened you are suggesting it wasnt McCoist's doing whilst everything negative was ALL McCoist's doing.

And using PLG as a defence is nigh on farcical. I wanted PLG to get more time too but when YOU look at the negative's of PLG's reign you have decided that players are on a mutiny and that the Chairman should have backed him.

Where was Craig Whyte's backing of McCoist in the transfer market when McCoist couldnt get his first OR second choice signings ? Ohhhh, that would be something we cant blame McCoist for so lets just ignore it.

Yes, it appears you DO have an agenda against McCoist.

I am not saying he has been a great manager for us, indeed far from it - but when someone cant be at least objective when comparing them to previous managers then the whole argument becomes futile.

I really don't understand the criticism aimed at McCoist just now. He must have been working under incredible circumstances in the last year and to his credit has carried himself and Rangers in a thoroughly professional manner which is alot more than can be said about Craig Whyte. I think we need to stick with McCoist until we are on a steading footing again and give him a chance with a clear deck if it didn't work out then think about replacements etc... But certainly not now

players played because they put pressure on him etc etc,

Isn't that pretty similar to what was happening to PLG with Ferguson??? Players dictating the managers actions???

Is there actually anything about Rangers that you like??? I detect a LOT of negativity in most of your post, with the exception of Paul Murray!!!

If you don't want it to continue easy stop arguing with me.

This is an absolute belter.....so your opinion is always right. By having such a stance it makes ANY form of debate impossible!!!

I will be willing to give McCoist ample time to prove himself, let's not forget how many of his 1st choice targets he wasn't allowed to get. Juhaez, that big striker that went to spain, Danns, Goodwillie, Cuellar, Miller and I am sure there were more than that. To Judge McCoist when he was being backed by that wee rat Whyte is very harsh indeed.