How long can we suffer Jim Sinclair? - Youth department change required

The Spanish, Dutch, Germans all dont pay attention to "winning".

Being a youth coach myself - I am open to offers.... my philosophy is very much that the important things at a young age is technique, awareness, movement, control and passing - admittedly our team are one of the youngest in their league so lose all their games so it is easier to do - but we concentrate on all the above.

The will to win should come anyway, when boys hit puberty they should develop that desire to win - regardless, even my 6 and 7 yr olds (the ones who LOVE football) HATE losing anyway so no need to try to deliver the will to win.

They dont count scores these days so it "doesnt count" - but as they get older they will, for the most part, go further with the technique, awareness, pasing etc etc - than they will with determination alone.

Admittedly, I drive it into my own kid that he needs to play aggressively in every single minute of every single game.

Guest Dutchy

It certainly sounds great in theory, but the effect of parents and others on the touchline, especially in Scotalnd/Britain I'd say drums it into them from too early an age.

As I say, I'm confused, but as to when it should be turned around, you give a good explanation craig. The hormones will do the job for you, and hopefully you'll have the technique when that time comes.

As to what's going on at Rangers camps, I've not got a scooby!

So we import in our own youth system, sad, it also seems they aren't very successful either. Although we should be scouring our own country for players. I heard Darren Ramsay was meant to be quite good, also good that he has came through our system, that is only one though.

Plus when was the last time we actually produced a first team striker from our youth system? 10 years plus?

It certainly sounds great in theory, but the effect of parents and others on the touchline, especially in Scotalnd/Britain I'd say drums it into them from too early an age.

As I say, I'm confused, but as to when it should be turned around, you give a good explanation craig. The hormones will do the job for you, and hopefully you'll have the technique when that time comes.

As to what's going on at Rangers camps, I've not got a scooby!

We had one of the academy directors from Man city over here last summer doing a symposium and he said that in England, with the premiership clubs, the parents actually sign a contract agreeing to refrain from ANY encouragement at all - and there is good reason for this..... parents think they are simply encouraging the boys but when they start using terminology (pass, move, shoot - that kind of stuff) then it detracts from the messages the coaches are trying to make.

To be honest, that is one of the toughest things I have to deal with as a coach - the parents mean no harm but they cant help themselves and, often, actually confuse the kids - I have had kids having no idea what they should be doing because their parent (who knows nothing about the game) is trying to tell them one thing whilst the coach is telling them something else.

The parents want them to win but I actually sit my kids down at the end of every single game and let them know that it is NOT all about winning even though we ALL want to do that - but it is about development and I will make a point of highlighting to them a particular passage of play that shows some development they have made.

I am sure I read somewhere that Sinclair prefers the "athletic" types - so a big, physical player.

Now, I know that the SPL can be physical but we should be looking at getting the BEST players regardless of physical appearance, especially at the younger age groups.

FFS, look at Messi, Xavi, Iniesta - all 5ft7 or less - yet they would run rings around the SPL. Even Puyol is only 5ft10 - very short for a CB, bit still a quality player.

Get the BEST players in - or have the proper coaching methods to actually COACH them how to develop.

I am sure I read somewhere that Sinclair prefers the "athletic" types - so a big, physical player.

Now, I know that the SPL can be physical but we should be looking at getting the BEST players regardless of physical appearance, especially at the younger age groups.

FFS, look at Messi, Xavi, Iniesta - all 5ft7 or less - yet they would run rings around the SPL. Even Puyol is only 5ft10 - very short for a CB, bit still a quality player.

Get the BEST players in - or have the proper coaching methods to actually COACH them how to develop.

Scottish mentality, little players are probably better than bigger guys technically but don't have the developed strength. Although big guys can have the technical skill, speed and strength just ask me :P;).