Brian Kennedy will make offer to buy Gers - Express

Brian Kennedy has confirmed plans to lure Graeme Souness back to Rangers if he wins control of the Ibrox club.

The Cheshire-based businessman has also admitted an interest in recruiting Walter Smith in a director-of-football role ahead of lodging a formal offer for the club by Friday’s deadline.

Former manager Smith publicly granted his backing to Paul Murray’s Blue Knights earlier this week.

And Kennedy, the owner of Sale Sharks, admits he fully expects to lose out to the fan-backed consortium.

After speaking ‘at length’ with former Ibrox boss Souness, Sir David Murray and manager Ally McCoist, however, the 51-year-old Edinburgh-born tycoon confirmed Sportsmail’s revelation that he will be a bidder for the distressed club.

‘I think there is a big job to be done,’ said Kennedy. ‘There is something to be effectively resurrected here from scratch. And, if you are going to do that, then you would be foolish not to utilise the expertise and experience of such people as Graeme Souness and Walter Smith.

‘I have not spoken to Walter, not at this stage. But Graeme is a personal friend, so I have talked to him at length about Rangers. But I have not taken it any further than that — as yet. Purely because we have to see where this goes first before we shout about these things from the hilltops.

‘I also met Ally McCoist last week and that was just a getting-to-know-him exercise. He is such a lovely lad and very capable.’

In addition to Kennedy and the Blue Knights, American investment bank Fortress are also reported to have expressed interest with administrators Duff & Phelps, while a Singapore consortium led by Glasgow-based businessman Shazad Bakhsh have also been linked.

However, Kennedy — a former owner of Stockport County — is intrigued by the prospect of assisting a huge club in the throes of a financial maelstrom, insisting he will do so out of a sense of duty.

‘I hope to get something in by Friday purely as a fallback for the administrators, should any of the bids fall over or not be acceptable. If I am going to be in a position where they ask me to press on with it, then I want to know a little more about it.

‘But where I am in terms of a scale from one to 10 is probably close to one and a half.

‘I’m not sure how the administrators are going to play it. Or what their strategy is. I think they are just looking to get the best possible deal.

‘I suspect that will not be mine. I suspect Paul Murray will present a better bid and I maintain that would be the right thing to do.’

So, replacing Ally as manager?

tbh, not sure how you get that Zappa - AM's record against Celtic is reasonable at best and he has too much of a "cosy" media relationship.

Souness would beat the shit out of them, or at least you would hope he would.

tbh, not sure how you get that Zappa

I'm just asking what Job at the club would Kennedy potentially ask Souness to take and your reply sounded like bringing him in as manager. If not manager, then what job?

Edited by Zappa

I'm just asking what Job at the club would Kennedy potentially ask Souness to take and your reply sounded like bringing him in as manager. If not manager, then what job?

Director of Football. Not manager or coach but advisor on signing/development policy. Would be tailor made for it IMO. Not sure as coach because he was always inclined to be too abrasive, again IMO.