Do you truly believe Bilbao are a better team than Manchester United?

Right now United largely live off their name. Their midfield is pisspoor without old man Scholes who wont be there next year. 1 shot on target at Wigan the other night. Yes, Bilbao could well be better than United and how better to judge than two games were they played the English side off the park home and away. The point was though that if the a middling team in Spain can horse the best of the English home and away then how can you claim the English league is better? We're not even comparing best with best. The mid table sides of Spain had too much for the best of the EPL.

GA's a good guy mate, got him mixed up with Danny....Danny's a good guy too btw even if he thinks the EPL is the best league in the world. :facepalm:

No, I said it was better than La Liga. Right now I'm not sure any league is the best in the world. Italy's much stronger than it was, England is very strong, and despite the two horse race of La Liga, it's by no means a poor league.

EPL better than La Liga, I'll have a pint of whatever your on boys. Best laugh of the day right at the end.

So because you disagree with us you think we're insane?

This is about opinions.

Right now United largely live off their name. Their midfield is pisspoor without old man Scholes who wont be there next year. 1 shot on target at Wigan the other night. Yes, Bilbao could well be better than United and how better to judge than two games were they played the English side off the park home and away. The point was though that if the a middling team in Spain can horse the best of the English home and away then how can you claim the English league is better? We're not even comparing best with best. The mid table sides of Spain had too much for the best of the EPL.

This season in Europe was incredibly poor for United - normally they make the semis, final or win. I'm not sure their dire performances in Europe this season are a fair reflection of their team overall.

Gijon drew with Bilbao on the 25th of last month - does that mean Gijon are equal to Bilbao and therefore better than Man Utd?

Results aren't literal. Never have been.

PS Pele said Neymar is better than Messi. But then he also said an African nation would win the world cup before the millennium, iirc.

That is an incredibly biased opinion. And I couldnt be convinced otherwise.

Pele = Brazilian

Neymar = Brazilian

Messi = Argentinian

Brazil & Argentina = intense rivals.

Sorry, but Pele may have been a great player but he has proven to be less than good at both spotting players and also hiding his bias towards his home nation, and he doesnt like Argentina.

Great player - but I would be taking his opinion on Neymar vs Messi with an incredibly large dose of salt.

I HAVE watched a fair bit of Neymar because we get the Paulista out here. No doubt in my mind that he will be (possibly already is) a world class player - but he is NOT as good as Messi, IMHO. I do recall seeing him score a goal which, when watching it you think, how is that even possible (truly world class goal, but made it look simple). Will try to find it.

Messi does things with the ball at his feet that look incredibly simple yet clearly arent.

C Ron is a world class player too but, I think it was Zappa that says it, he is NOT a team player. Great goalscoring ratio and better than Messi's as you stated - but Messi, IMHO, provides much more to the TEAM than Ronaldo does. Messi links play better than Ronaldo.

Lets also not forget that Ronaldo is at the "peak" of his career at 27 yrs old. Messi has still to hit that peak

Ronaldo - career - 193 goals in 316 starts

Messi - career - 158 goals in 208 starts

I think Messi's stats stand up to scrutiny even against Ronaldo's. But my point with this would really be that you can make stats mean whatever you want them to mean.

I will caveat all of this by readily admitting that I think Messi is an incredibly talented player that can do things with the ball others cant. And also that, for some reason, I have a bit of a dislike to Ronaldo.

Edited by craig

This season in Europe was incredibly poor for United - normally they make the semis, final or win. I'm not sure their dire performances in Europe this season are a fair reflection of their team overall.

Gijon drew with Bilbao on the 25th of last month - does that mean Gijon are equal to Bilbao and therefore better than Man Utd?

I will give you that they normally make the semi's or final - but win it ? Once in the last 12 years is hardly "normally". I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you worded that slightly incorrectly ;)

Your use of Gijon because they drew with Bilbao is, quite frankly Danny, nonsense (and I rarely say that about anything you say). Why is there a need to bring Gijon into a comparison between Man U & Bilbao ? Especially as Bilbao and Man U have actually played each other home and away in recent past ? You have the comparison there to see without bringing other clubs into the equation.

Or, to put that another way, Wigan beat Man U the other night...... does that mean that Wigan are better than Man U & Bilbao ? Of course not.

Oops.... saw that you were suggesting that results werent literal, that changes things :D

I agree that resuts arent literal but, to be fair, Bilbao did handily beat Man U home AND away.

Re EPL vs La Liga - I am in the La Liga group. I find it difficult to see how anyone can suggest that the EPL is stronger than La Liga. The ONLY way you could even CLOSELY suggest that the EPL is stronger is due to depth and I dont even see how it has more depth than Spain. yes, the only teams that win in Spain are the two big teams - but, clearly, they are both MILES ahead of the rest of the league - but they also are MILES ahead of pretty much any other team in Europe (Bayern aside, IMHO. Milan did well enough against Barca but playing on the backfoot for the most part for 180 mins).

Barca and Madrid would finish 1st and 2nd in the EPL, comfortably. The best team in the EPL this season (champions) is likely to be Man U - and they wouldnt beat either of those two teams and would not find it easy against a few of the other bigger Spanish teams too such as Valencia, Osasuna, Sevilla.

I dont think the Europa is meaningless. Not as lucrative as it once was. But if you look at the team Man City put out they were treating it seriously. Spain having 5 teams left in both European competitions is still impressive, however you look at it.

I actually think that the Italian league may be stronger than the EPL for depth too.

I agree with Danny here, I think the EPL is without doubt the best league in the world.
No, I said it was better than La Liga.......

Apologies Danny...it was Supercoop who said it.

I'll need to stay off the firewater.

Edited by 54andcounting

So because you disagree with us you think we're insane?

This is about opinions.

Why are you getting all hot and bothered about nothing Danny, I never called you insane I joking claimed you'd been on the drink.

You then state its all about opinions well I don't agree with yours simples. :thup:

Best football I've watched all season has been German do I think it's the best league just now no.

Edited by GovanAllan

Ronaldo - career - 193 goals in 316 starts

Messi - career - 158 goals in 208 starts

Compare those career league-only stats to their league-only stats for just the past three seasons (including this one) while both players played in La Liga and it looks like this:

Ronaldo - 106 goals in 96 appearances with 28 assists

Messi - 104 goals in 99 appearances with 41 assists

Statistics aren't everything though! :)

PS - both teams are playing tonight!

Not all about results and all along i've been speaking about performances rather than just scores. Played off the park home and away.