The point was though that if the a middling team in Spain can horse the best of the English home and away then how can you claim the English league is better? We're not even comparing best with best. The mid table sides of Spain had too much for the best of the EPL.

You're probably right S_A. You just have to look at some of the talent in the mid table La Liga sides. Bilbao might not be one of the Spanish big guns, but they've got a striker in Llorente who's had a good number of caps for the Spanish national team. They also have another few players with caps for Spain and almost their full team have caps for at the Spanish U19, U21 & U23 levels. Basically, a team like Bilbao deals almost exclusively in Spanish youth & Spanish talent and that's probably why they turned over Man U because the Spanish talent is a force to be reckoned with. I've watched the Spanish U19 squad in action in recent years and some of their players are just phenomenal.

Compare those career league-only stats to their league-only stats for just the past three seasons (including this one) while both players played in La Liga and it looks like this:

Ronaldo - 106 goals in 96 appearances with 28 assists

Messi - 104 goals in 99 appearances with 41 assists

Statistics aren't everything though! :)

PS - both teams are playing tonight!

Messi scored twice and Ronaldo once tonight, so those particular stats (for 3 seasons in La Liga) now look like this:

Ronaldo - 107 goals in 97 appearances with 28 assists

Messi - 106 goals in 100 appearances with 41 assists

I thought this thread was dead.. Fuck you Jim White.

Can I just clarify that Neymar, IMO, is not better than Messi & that was not the point of the thread. The point I was trying to make was that we could be in for a treat over the next few years as I think that Neymar will definitely be challenging for that accolade in the next few years ;).

Biased opinion from Pele IMO. Messi has been killing it for Barca for years. Barca all time top scorer and he's 24,scary. People say 'yeh but he's got Xavi an iniesta' which is fair enough. But look at how Barca struggle when u take Messi out.

Neymar,scored a heap of goals in his young career. Actually saw him in the copa America against equador,he had an off day...

There's no way on this planet u can compare the 2. Messi all the way.

Seem to remember Pele raving about Diego and Robinho and while both are good players,they are nowhere near anyones worlds best 11,I highly doubt Neymar would be for that matter.

Look forward to seeing him in Europe though.